Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Targa Top Rear Seal

I saved about $200, thanks to Demick and his Tech article on the $8 Targa Top Seal. I made it last night in about 3 hours. Looks pretty good, fits nice and tight. How do you keep from getting contact cement all over the seating surface of the gasket? I made such a mess!! There must be a secret about removing the excess glue from the gasket. If you have had the same problem...please let me know how to clean it up and what to do in the future not to get glue on the new gasket surfaces. Anyway.....Demick, Thanks alot.

HUTCH
Old 10-01-1999, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I too, made a decent rear targa top seal using Dimick's garage door seal idea. I think he down-played the part about practicing before creating, though. My first attempt came out looking like a tightly wound spiral stair case. I bought another 8 feet and the second attempt came out pretty good.

The way I avoided the excess glue on the second attempt was to make sure I didn't put any glue where I didn't need it (sounds pretty self-explanatory, but you'll know what I mean after your first attempt).

I think the old adage " practice makes perfect" applies here absolutely. And, I don't know how to get the excess glue off easily.
Old 10-03-1999, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have now built two - one for myself and one for a friend. His first attempt was a disaster. Remember, the contact cement needs to dry before you stick the edges together. Randy is very correct about the practing. During that process I became very proficient at gluing a beatiful seal - TO MY DESK!!!!
good luck!
-Scott S
Old 10-04-1999, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Last I checked the OEM seal
was approx $350...not $200.
I'm going to try to make one
this weekend!
Old 10-07-1999, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: