Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cage Size?

I'm putting a roll cage in my 914. I'm buying it from Kirk Racing Products. I have the choice of 3 sizes of tubing. I can choose from 1 1/2 dom .120 wall, 1 3/4 .095 dom wall, or 1 3/4 .120 wall dom. What would you guys choose and why? For right now its a dual purpose car that I plan to auto x. I might want to race it later in the scca or pca.

John
Old 04-09-2003, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Ask TonyC on the 914Club.com board as he builds cages and such for a living.
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 04-09-2003, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Check the rule books for the events you may participate in to look for specific requirements.

1973 2.0 (with optional rust package)
Old 04-09-2003, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'll check over at the 914club board.

All of these sizes are scca legal so thats not a factor.

John
Old 04-09-2003, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If you are absolutely sure any of the cages mentioned are SCCA GCR legal then I would equate larger tubing with a little more peace of mind just in case you'd really need it! Since I have gotten older I worry more about things like that but when I was younger I went with lightest and meeting minimum requirements. I would guess any will fit? Good luck
Old 04-09-2003, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

John,
Thats kinda what I was thinking. This will be a street driven car and if I get hit by an suv I think I want all the protection I can get. The 1 3/4 .095 is actually lighter than the 1 1/2 .120 . I am leaning towards the 1 3/4 .120 wall.

John
Old 04-09-2003, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If all are legal, then you have two considerations to trade off: Strength of the cage vs. weight.

A stronger cage can keep your precious body from harm if Bad Things happen on (or off) the track. It will also make the chassis of the car stiffer (to some extent, at least, and particularly if you run it to the suspension pickup points) which will result in better and more predictable handling.

The thicker-walled cage will also be heavier, if the tubes are run the same way. Weight, as you know, hurts acceleration, braking, and cornering.

You have to figure out how much (if any) stiffer the chassis will be with the thicker cage versus the thinner one, and how much safer it will be. Then weigh those benefits and risks versus the benefits of the weight reduction. Pick your tradeoff.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-09-2003, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'm thinking I'll take the little bit of extra weigh. I can always loose it elsewhere if I feel the need. Having a slightly lighter/faster car does me no good if I'm dead. Now I just need to find a dot legal 5 point harness.

John
Old 04-09-2003, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The only one I've ever heard of was from Schroth.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-09-2003, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I guess I could just use a regular 5 point harness. I would think they are safer than a reg seatbelt. Its not like alabama even has a regular inspection. I could always keep the stock seatbelts in place for inspection if they have it in the future. We dont have any emission, inspection or anything. You just take your bill of sale and proof of liability insurance to the DMV and get your tag. The only thing they inspect is for a salvage title.

BTW, where can I get Schroth harnesses?

John
Old 04-09-2003, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

I went with a 1.5"x.120" 8-point cage with Petty bar, built by Tony C. It's awesome.

Technically for lighter cars (<2500lbs I think) you can go with the 1.5x.95 tubing; however, for added rigidity I went with the thicker-wall stuff. My car is so light that I may need to carry lead ballast to make class weight anyway, so it wasn't a big deal.

If your car is regularly street driven, it would be a good plan to keep the stock 3-point belts. I use the Schroth (race) 5-points. They are probably the best harness available, IMHO. Sube Sports is the main distributor on the west coast AFAIK. OG Racing has them on the east coast.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 04-09-2003, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Please don't go to Sube Sports. They screwed me big time. They recomended products (Schroth Rally Cross Harness) that wouldnt fit my car and refused to give me a refund.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Just a note, when you weld in your cage, be sure the doors are closed. Other wise.... BIG OPPS.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

You can buy many products distributed by Sube Sports thru Pelican. Call/email and ask.

Personally I've had great experience with Sube Sports, FWIW.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 04-10-2003, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Thanks for the coments and opinions guys.

John
Old 04-10-2003, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: