Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
canna change law physics

Garage
Fuel guage and right turns ?!?

The gas guage has always moved a bit in hard cornering. Maybe I haven't noticed it so much before, but recently it seems to move much much more than usual. SO much so that the actual fuel low light is coming on (Something that didn't happen when I ran the sucker out of gas!).

It only occurs in right turns. I know the fuel level guage is on the right side and I'm throwing the fuel to the left in a right turn, but I do not get a large bump up in fuel level in hard left turns. And the change seems much more extreme (1/4-1/3 tank level reading) in my normal (read this as "hard") right hand turns.

Anyone seen this? Did I just not notice this before?

James
Old 04-10-2003, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Obviously you are using a fuel gauge designed for NASCAR!
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 04-10-2003, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I see the same thing. I hadn't noticed that it was only right turns. It's hard to find long sweeping left turns around here.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

When I think about it, it kind of makes sense considering how tall and skinny the tank in the 914 is.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 04-10-2003, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I see that also when I could have half a tank and I am getting on the freeway w/ a right turn the light will come on but it is not the same if I am making a left turn, it will only move about an 1/8 of a tank.
03' Mini Cooper S
03' Volkswagen Passat GLX B5.5 4-Motion

Benjamin Miles Keaton (ben, lj) - RIP June 2nd, 2005
Old 04-10-2003, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I'm going to take a stab here, that because the sending unit is located pretty much to the far right-hand side of the tank (as your sitting behind the wheel) when you make those hard right turns with only 1/4 to 1/3 of tank full, most of the gas gets "thrown" to the left side of the tank, basically "starving" the sender. It sounds like your light goes off once you come out of the turn, which seems to say the gas sloshed back under the sender. Doesn't sound like any kind of problem. There just aren't too many "slosh baffels" in the tank.
Don
Race a Porsche - There's more to life than left turns!
Old 04-11-2003, 03:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

canna change law physics

Garage
This has always happened, it just seems worse than normal and I'm not getting the problem in left turns. I guess I'm wondering if some of the baffles are gone or something.

Jeff - On my route to work, the connector from I-8 East to CA-163 North is a long sweeping tight left, which then has a hard right as you straighten out for 163. It's a really fun curve! I love my drive to work.

James
Old 04-11-2003, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
James, in left turns, the inertia "sucks" the fuel over to the far right side of the tank - right under the sending unit - so the gage gives you a reading. Maybe even a reading higher than it really is. Those long sweeping rights (yeah baby!) keep the fuel away from the sender.
You can look into the tank, but you have to remove the sending unit to do it. If you've never done it, I recently wrote a "how to" tech article, with pics for our local PCA magazine. I don't know how to give you a quick link to it, but it can be read with the pics at the club website.

Honestly though James, I would try taking those same turns with a full tank first and see if the same thing happens. I'm betting it won't.

It's almost too bad that cool ride in has to end at work!
Don
Old 04-11-2003, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Can you put up your club's site address? I have a new sending unit to install and would like any additional info I can get my paws on. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2003, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
No problem. Sorry for this "long way there" but I don't speak that Link Language stuff!
Go to www.porschepark.org
Then when the site opens, click on Winners Circle, then Enter. Once in the Winners Circle area, click on Steinlifters Newsletter.

You can open and download any number of issues of the magazine. The issue with the sending unit article is in March 2003.

I do a monthly column called "The 914 Nook" with stuff in there every month. I just finished one for the May issue on removing the alternator.

Hope you find it helpful.
Don
Old 04-11-2003, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Yeah. My commute has been very nice recently, since I've had a lot of 7am meetings. Not too many on the road at that time, at least in my direction.

In another thread, someone (Smolka I think) said they gave up driving the 914 on the highway since they way would look down and see 80+ all the time. I feel your pain. I constantly have to keep a look at my speed. The car just doesn't feel any different at 60 vs 90.

About the guage. I filled the car and I'm still seeing a 1/4 tank swing on right turns. I think the main reason I noticed the problem was the low fuel light was coming on.

It's funny. While it's amost standard equipment these days, in 1970, I never remember's seeing a low fuel idiot light.

James
Old 04-11-2003, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Maybe that sender needs to come out. Sometimes all they need is a clean up with some very fine steel wool. If you do that, be very careful of the tiny wires that the float rides on. They can stretch or break real easy.

Don
Old 04-11-2003, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Holy cow Don, that's a heck of a web site!!!

I've printed the article to have with me during the work - You wouldn't happen to have a bit better quality pics to email, would you?
Old 04-11-2003, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Brian , I sent you a PM, but in case you didn't get it for some reason, send me your e-mail address, I can send you the full size color pics in that article. I took them so they're on my hard drive.
Don

Never mind! I found the address on your web page. DUH

Last edited by Loan Dog; 04-11-2003 at 11:01 AM..
Old 04-11-2003, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mikester
Mine does this too, seemed to make sense that it would so I was never bothered by it.

I'm still not. Though, sometimes it is an attention getter - like when I have the fog lights on and I'm turning the wheel. Out of the corner of my eye I see this bright orange light (the fog light switch) that is nothing but alarming until I realize what it is.

I heart Boobies
Old 04-11-2003, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
What I think I'm going to do is install a spare gas tank with a working sending unit and see the effect. I need to pull the gas tank anyway to look at the windshield wiper wiring. I would be really nice to have wipers.

James
Old 04-11-2003, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: