Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

buying first 914

I am buying my first car a `70 914 1.7,I am paying $1000 for it,the car has been restored and includes seats from a `73,bilstien shocks.weltmeister front and rear swaybars performance autocross\rally springs and a bursch exhaust system.the car is straight and the only rust i have found is the battery tray.i was wondering where else i should look ,the car runs o.k but the owner is also selling me a 2.0 and a later trans axle.I was wondering what year porsche used the sideshifter.any help would be apriciated thanks.
Old 10-05-1999, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

This is what I have learned so far.
1) I heard the 1.7L is identical to the VW. So parts are/should be cheep. The 2.0L uses differant heads and case and the 411 bus, but all other things remain the same. (NOTE I have only heard this I cannot confirm)

2) Check under the seats... Not under the car. My 914 had rusted seat bolts that actually just broke off when I was moving the seat forward.

3) Check the jack posts (where the jack goes in back), jack the car up if you can and see if the post support the car.

4) The PO of my car did a serious bad wiring job. You might want to check that too...

5) The tranny on mine was shot when I bought it, but I already knew that. I bought a rebuild one for $500. If you need one, post here. I found prices up to $2800.

Thats all I can think of right now hope it helps. From what you said, I would buy it...
Old 10-05-1999, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to macman
the sideshifter is a better tranny. every porsche 914 has rust in the battery tray area, but you may want to check the jackpoints and laterals (to do this you will haveto take off the rocker pannels off). A quicker way to check the body's structural integrity is to get a fat friend (250+ to sit in the passinger or driver seat, take the roof off, roll down the window, and while the "fat friend" sits in the seat, try and roll up the window, if it is hard, you may have some rust, if not, you are probably OK.hope it helps!

------------------
Michael Scheid
(206) 232-9854
Old 10-05-1999, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Check out the FAQ and "buying a 914" sections on this site

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/How_to_buy_a_914.htm

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914qa.htm

It is a good idea to do the "Daves Big Butt test" (but I think you are suppose to try and open the door, not just roll up the window) and look behind the rockers.

For $1000 including the 2.0L motor and trans I'd say it is a good deal. Either you live in a part of the country where 914's aren't worth much, the current owner dosen't know what he/she has, or there is something wrong with the car. However, if the car is a all stucturely sound I'd buy it,just know that you usally get what you pay for. For $1000 I wouldn't expect to get a rustfree daily driver, and the 2.0L (BTW the motor is only a 914 2.0L if the engine code starts with the letters "GA" "GB" "GC" if it is "GE" or something else it is a bus motor, or a smaller 914 motor. Also it MUST have the 2.0L heads, which have 3 intake studs instead of four) motor probably needs work, i.e. a dropped vavle or a spun bearing. A 2.0L 914 core motor goes for $500-$750.

BTW the 73 914 was the first with the side shift trans, the 73-74 2.0L had 95hp and the 75-76 2.0L only had 88hp because of the air pump, EGR, and CAT.

[This message has been edited by JP Noonan (edited 10-05-1999).]
Old 10-05-1999, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have checked the seats and they work like they are supposed to.the 2.0 is in pieces right now and I was planning on having it rebuilt.the car runs well right now with the 1.7 but it needs a little work.the reason I am not paying $3500 for it is the po is my grandpa.
Old 10-06-1999, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
That's a curve ball to throw at us!.. BUY IT..
Old 10-06-1999, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
I don't suppose your gandpa wants to adopt?
Old 10-06-1999, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Are you my long lost family???
Old 10-07-1999, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

HA! This is EXACTALLY how I got into my first car, a '73 Triumph Spitfire. Paid $300 for a running car that had many miles on it. Three months later I turned a main bearing, after two back to back engine fires.

The GOOD: I got a few other parts cars and restored a whole car from it, learned how to rebuilt, patience, and awe of what leather oil seals are all about. The Spit then gave me 9 years good service after rebuild.

The BAD: Paid $150 too much and the car was trash. Lost several girlfriends to that project (took ~17months). Was satteled with a British Sports Car for 9 years.

What the Grandparents said, "We though it'd be a learning experience for you." They're career military and BELIEVE in an education in Hard Knocks. . .

MY OPINION: Run a compression check and maybe a leak down on the engine. Even the 1.7 is expensive to recodition and you don't want to get stuck in bed with it. If the compression looks good and the valves are cool, well jump in. Otherwise BEWARE.

GOOD LUCK
Ian
Old 10-07-1999, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Ian, To this date, English cars still lack computers. "Why?", you ask... because that is the one thing they cannot make leak oil!

(Sorry for the drift folks, but that's just
the way it is with English cars).
Old 10-08-1999, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: