Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

carb pre setup question

HI Folks

Got a pair of weber 40 idf's rebuilt and ready to reinstall on the '73 2 liter.

Got a question though.

I have read in the Cb performance book (which I convieniently left at work today) that states that prior to installing the carbs, set the throttle plate to barrel clearance to .003". Thats three thousands of an inch. It states, place a .003 inch feeler between plate and barrel and set clearance. What am I suuposed to use as a feeler? .003" is really small and I cant find anything around here thats that dimension (and round). Will I have any luck at NAPA?
What do you guys use??
I reinstalled the carbs once without doing this and I can now see where it would be a good idea. Well thats it, thought I would ask the experts.
Thanks forlks for the help

Curt
Old 04-11-2003, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I've just used a feeler gauge in the past. You can get them at hardware and automotive stores. I'm sure NAPA would have them...
Old 04-12-2003, 12:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Same thing as a valve feeler guage, right?

73 Olympic Blue 914 1.7L (2L /4 back in progress)
69 Highlander Bug 1776
93 GL EV 2.8L The Van

914club.com Member #914
Old 04-12-2003, 01:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

That's right
Old 04-12-2003, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You can do the same with backing out the speed adjust screw and close the throttle fully then screw it in until the throttle just starts to open then go 1.5 turns more. That will be a good start. I file a notch on the head of the screw so I can watch the number or turns and make both sides the same. You have a good synchro tool I hope? Good luck.
Old 04-12-2003, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: