Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bmw4ricky
914 can am LE

Does anyone know how rare these LE cars are. I've heard the black ones are the ones most want, i dont like that, I'm talking about the white ones. How much should I plan on paying for a nice one, not much rust? - thanks Rick
Old 04-12-2003, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The seem to sell for about the same as regular '73-74 2L 914s in the same condition. I don't think many people really want them because of the, shall we say, vintage color scheme.

The rarest one is the white/green color combination. Do some searches here. You'll find Bowlby's web page on the LEs.
Old 04-12-2003, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Paul_Heery Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_Heery
Here is Jeff's site:
http://members.rennlist.com/914_canam/

Are they worth a premium? Could be. Depends on the audience. Some people think that they may be worth a little more. However, since there is limited ability to prove the true provenance of these cars, they are too easy to fake.
Old 04-12-2003, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
thanks

ya, I'm going for the vintage retro look, I was actually thinking about faking one, but I like everything authentic.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

To convincingly fake one correctly may be pretty hard actually.

First off, you would need a Light Ivory (L80E) or Black (L041) car, built within the known window of time when the LE cars were made (only about a 7 week period. The VIN numbers would need to be in the proper range too.

The authentic LE front air dam is a rare part...try finding one. I'm not talking about the aftermarket LE spoilers...you need a real one, the details are different.

The Phoenix red stripes are available, but the yellow and green ones are not...at least in the correct colors.

You would also need the green Bilsteins....eveything else is easy enough.

Of course you would not want to sell one as an LE without full disclosure....and you could never get a legit COA.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
grind weld build

Garage
Very nice web site!!! I encourage all 914 guys to check it out. I enjoyed the "collectables" section. thanks
73 Orange, CS #601
73 Rayco V8 glug, glug
69 911 w/82 turbo look on 275 35 18s (for sale)
Trek 6500+
Sean M!
Old 04-12-2003, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
haha ok

Well all those things would just piss me off because I would know they were not exact. I've got some time, I'll wait for a real one. - thanks, Rick
Old 04-12-2003, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

hey bowlsby, please enlighten me on the authentic LE air dam. what do you look for when IDing an authentic one.

i have an LE dam that came with a 75 parts car which would have me beleive that it's aftermarket but it was orange.

doug
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougwatersfotos/
Old 04-12-2003, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Ricky-there is a project Creamsicle on the website for sale if you are into some work. Its in Southern CA.

Ein 6er - (Great name!) - There are several differences...look on my 914 Canam website at the link below under the Authenticity link, I have a few photos of the details of an authentic front air dam. They are clearly a different beast than the aftermarket knockoffs.
Old 04-12-2003, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
ya, I'd be interested, where on the site is it exactly?
Old 04-12-2003, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
ok, i found it, im not sure, i'll look into it. The thing is, it might make more sense to buy one in good condition- thanks
Old 04-12-2003, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

probably just have to be patient. there was a nice white/orange one with (claimed) 70k miles on it at a used car dealer in Maine or NH that sold on ebay about a month ago, I think it went for $7k. Look back through the archives and I think you'll find the thread discussing how much it would go for.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

You gotta be careful with ebay as you may know. That car looked to be in great original condition, but it had tan interior...while tan is highly sought after...it did not look good at all with the creamsicle colors.

Ebay is a fine place to find things like this, but its only a short window for a purchase. The LE cars are either love em or hate em. That ebay car may have sold for appreciably more than that $7K if the seller was willing to wait for the right buyer.

A collector also would have had a problem with the hole drilled through the rear trunk lid for tthe CB antenna wire, diminishing its value.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

C'mon good buddy... how much more retro could he get than the 23-channel Motorola! Maybe an aftermarket luggage rack? (a friend gives me such a dose of sh&! every time I talk about getting a mid-70's Vette to be sure and get the luggage rack). I'd have wanted to see it in person, too, but it still isn't a bad reference point.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
ya, I wish I started looking a month ago, I woulda bid on that. I could always find black interior, tan wasn't that bad. Ya, that cb, I just don't understand who does that.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
I know where there is LE spoiler for sale if you want it. It's off a Creamsicle. They are different yes, had little brackets at the bottom and were pretty lightweight fiberglass. My 76 came with one and I destroyed it on a parking lot speed bump. The aftermarket ones I have seen look similar but are thicker fiberglass.
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 04-13-2003, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
spoiler

I think you meant to put it on by brother's, rob's post about his 76 spoiler. The car is completely his now, thats why I am in search of a LE car.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleyseng View Post
I know where there is LE spoiler for sale if you want it. It's off a Creamsicle. They are different yes, had little brackets at the bottom and were pretty lightweight fiberglass. My 76 came with one and I destroyed it on a parking lot speed bump. The aftermarket ones I have seen look similar but are thicker fiberglass.
Geoff
I am interested in the LE spoiler for sale. I have an LE Creamsicle. Please email me details. Danke!

2018 Volkswagen MK7.5 Golf R Lapiz Blue Metallic / Black
Old 08-14-2013, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
grind weld build

Garage
jeff

QRS Fiberglass (951) 581-5537
41491 E Florida Bldg 3B, Hemet, CA 92544

tell him who sent ya.
73 Orange, CS #601
73 Rayco V8 glug, glug
69 911 w/82 turbo look on 275 35 18s (for sale)
Trek 6500+
Sean M!
Old 08-15-2013, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: