Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Angry Rear Wheel Bearing Problem!

I seem to have the opposite problem to everyone else who tries to do this job. When preparing to drive the old bearing out of the trailing arm with big hammer etc, the bearing to my astonishment fell out in front of me. The new bearing slid in almost too easy and there is still play now that it is installed. The old bearing had wear on the outside as if it had been spinning in the arm.

I cannot pass the annual mechanical test in the UK with it like this!! Does this mean that a new trailing arm is required - as I can't seem to find one of these anywhere - or am I missing something fundamental here!!
Old 04-12-2003, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If the bearing is loose enough in the trailing arm to spin freely or clunk around it could only be two things: either you have the wrong bearing or your trailing arm is toast.
You MAY be able to tighten it up with green locktite, the stuff made for cylindrical parts, I don't remember the number of the top of my head.
You will have to work fast on assembly and do everything you can to keep from getting the locktite in the wrong places, but it would be cheaper than a new rear trailing arm (and a 4 wheel alignment).
Old 04-12-2003, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Is the stub axel installed and tight? You can't tell a thing until you do this. Also, you could put some shim stock around the inside of the trailing arm prior to reinstalling the bearing. My local hardware store has that in .001 and up. That is no substitute for doing it right, but it will get you thru inspection until you can find an arm for a decent price.
Old 04-12-2003, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Yeah what Sammy said.....

BTW, if you have the time...."I" would pull the other side and see if the problem is repeated there as well. If the bearing just slides in, it's the wrong bearing.

Very unlikely that BOTH arms are toast.

The worst that can happen is that you have to replace both bearings. It's probably the original set anyways, likely to go as well soon....

Hope that helps.....
Old 04-12-2003, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: