Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to Tonyakavw Send a message via AIM to Tonyakavw
74 1.8 - whats it worth?

I know someone who's got a 74 1.8 for sale and he wants me to make an offer on it. Its a bit tricky, because it has some good points and some bad points... Here's the good news first.

-original color (light blue) and seemingly original paint
-rubber is excellent all around
-body is very straight
-things close nicely, meet up nicely, etc.
-interior is clean (no holes in door panels, original handles on stuff)
-basically an unmolested car with original engine and no hacks on anything
-clear title, etc.
-in very nice shape from the outside and most of the inside.

Bad news:

-rear trunk area rusted, (some small holes, definitely needs replacement)
-battery tray gone, hole in wheel well, about 3 inches square
(although it looks like the rust stopped there, but I need to check it a bit closer to make certain of that)
-underside of car has some rust. Hard to say if its surface rust or not. the inside floor of the car is clean, the area behind the pedal cluster is clean, front trunk arear is clean except the lip where the rubber seal is on the very front (half of it)

So.... Assuming that the battery tray area rust is restricted to that area, (I'll try and scrape away some paint to verify this) and seeing as there is not any other structural rust, (longitudinals look good, suspension mounts are great)

what is this car worth? I've been told to make an offer...

The things I like about it most are that its basically original, and no one has patched things up or fixed things in cheap or crappy ways. The things I don't like about it are obvious

-Tony
Old 04-14-2003, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
my vote is for $2000. the rust repair for this car is $1000, so 3000 for a good 1.8 seems like a good price to me IMHO of course. i bought my 1.8 for 3500 before the rust repair in the battery tray but not in the trunk. but it also came with an extra 2.0 engine and a spare trans & a bunch of parts.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Tony, all the things you mention are cosmetic. You don't say if or how well it runs.

Different parts of the country seem to place different values on these puppies. Out in your part of the country, there are alot of them around compared to, say here, in WI. If I were looking at the car, I'm thinking $1200 - $1500. Once you start talking rust repairs, put a number on it and bump it by at least half as much more. Now, hows the exhaust system? Is everything there? Is it rusted? L-Jet or carbs. If carbs, was the conversion done right or was it a hack-job? How are the brakes? Any "secret agent" electrical stuff done to it? The stock electrical system has enough glitches. and on and on and on....
Race a Porsche - There's more to life than left turns!
Old 04-15-2003, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The reason I only listed cosmetic stuff is because thats all I was able to see. They are currently replacing the clutch and so its not driveable. I of course will give it a good mechanical going-through as well. It still has the L-Jet, heat exchangers are in place, loko decent, heater flapper boxes, all that stuff is there. Everything seems to be very complete, except a radio.

I'll post some pictures tongiht and that will detail the rust etc.

-Tony
Old 04-15-2003, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

some pictures of the car are up at http://www.wavelen.com/~allong/upload/upload

-Tony
Old 04-16-2003, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The perforations (the rusted-through holes) in the side wall by the hinge are not good signs. Frankly, we've cut up cars that look to be in (slightly) better shape because we didn't want to deal with them.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-16-2003, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Tony, I think any car can be saved, if you've got enough money. I agree with DD's assessment on this one. I think you would have to put way more in it than you would spend on a nicer car. I think you'ld find a whole bunch of surprises with this one once you went in to start some of the rust repairs. Might be a different story if this was a 2.0, with sway bars, Fuchs wheels etc. Other than that, personally, if I couldn't buy it for 7 - 800 bucs, I'd probably pass. But it's your call. Looking at pictures isn't like looking at the real thing. Good luck.
Race a Porsche - There's more to life than left turns!
Old 04-16-2003, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

right... I agree that it must have undiscovered rust, they all do Its just that this is a bad starting point. I was thinking of reccomending this car for my dad, since its not really what I'm looking for. I'll have to talk to him and see what he thinks.

Anyone know what a rust free roller goes for? I have a decent set of parts in my current 914 but the chassis is bad news. I'd like to find a roller that has essentially zero rust. Any idea what these go for?
Old 04-16-2003, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
grind weld build

Garage
tap on and under the longitudinal behind the jack point, right side. also look closely at the right inner suspension attachment. I almost wept teh first time I took a SAwsall to a 914
73 Orange, CS #601
73 Rayco V8 glug, glug
69 911 w/82 turbo look on 275 35 18s (for sale)
Trek 6500+
Sean M!
Old 04-16-2003, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: