Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
3M Windo-Weld - is this butyl tape?

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_GS3N8B7WXSbe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/gvel_WWR6DCKBSPgl/theme_us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

Is that stuff the same as butyl tape? I need it to reseal my rattling/leaky rear window. Napa can get it for me special order.

If there's a better place than Napa in San Diego for this kind of stuff I am open to suggestions!

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2003, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I know everyone uses it and I have some on my car too but a window installer once told me that butyl tape is not a good water sealer. So if it's not the same maybe it's better?
Old 04-14-2003, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jackmech
BenI, I would take that comment from the window installer to mean, "most people have a hard time installing butyl tape correctly and therefore it leaks more often." Maybe I'm just cynical.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yup, that is the very stuff you need (3M Window Weld, Round Bead Size 1/4" x 15', part number 51135 08610) Check around at your local FLAPS... mine had it on the shelf (Baxter's)

Just did that job 2 weekends ago... nearly killed myself pushing on the window. Do a search on "rear window seal" or "butyl tape" and you'll find a whole lot of help w/r to the installation. One person can do it (I did), but two would've been a lot nicer (but harder on the after work beer budget )

Have fun...wear gloves (vinyl, not latex)...and don't eat the leftovers!

Last edited by scg; 04-14-2003 at 07:42 PM..
Old 04-14-2003, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

When I did mine they only had 3/8" tape at my FLAPS. I figured that was close enough to 1/4" to work so I used it. Well I couldn't flatten it enough to get the window to seal against the rubber seal in the engine lid because the butyl tape was too fat.
Never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Do I get the stuff with or without the "setting blocks"? What are they for?
Old 04-15-2003, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Do I get the stuff with or without the "setting blocks"? What are they for?
You can get it without ? They're usefull for holding the window up off the metal (kinda) in the vertical plane (NOT the horizontal plane).
Old 04-15-2003, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Napa has the stuff listed without the blocks in their online catalog - it's about $5 cheaper. They said I'd have to order a whole case though.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
They said I'd have to order a whole case though.

%^$#%&#@$#!!!!!

You might try a windshield repair shop or body shop for the stuff so you don't have to buy a whole case.... If you still have no joy, Pelican can likely get you the stuff...give 'em a call.

If all else fails, I'd be happy to send you a box (15 feet) from here for cost.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I found the butyl tape at an auto paint supply store. Worked fine. I didn't know much about the replacement process, so I guess I was lucky to get the correct thickness. This was quite a while ago, pre-internet, at least for me.

Mike
Old 04-16-2003, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

$45 at a auto glass place for them to do the job for you. Just remove the interior pieces required to get access to the window. They had to heat the tape to make it conform to the car correctly. Well worth the money IMHO.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: