Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
TOP OFF ... Valve not tight!

Today is the first real top off day on the East Coast. 80 degrees no humidity. And yes I am driving the 914 today. For those following the lifter saga...I replaced the bad lifter with a used lifter. 400+ miles and so far all is well ... make that a big SO FAR!

In the past I would not have made it past 150 without the valve getting tight!

The last tank of gas I got 31.35 mpg...

I have also learned alot about lifter wear patterns and construction. I made a very cool stock lifter cut away. many will be suprised what is in side. I will post pictures.

My research may have paid off in the selection of the used lifter?
More to follow, for now I will be leaving the office early and taking the long way home!!!!

Thanks agian for all of the feedback and help...Scott

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 04-15-2003, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Good luck, you may get lucky!
www.massivetype4.com
Old 04-15-2003, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Outstanding! Good luck!

BTW, I think you got the mileage figure wrong, everyone knows that 914s can't do better than 30 MPG! (J/K)

JWest Engineering
Old 04-15-2003, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I thought you would like that. esspecially the .35

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
Old 04-15-2003, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yeah, that's some resolution for just one tank of gas. How precise can you get after running ten tanks?

JWest Engineering
Old 04-15-2003, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
One problem here is:"what's a "full" tank of gas? " It's tough to reliably fill these things to a reproduceable level for displacement- method mileage calculations. I'd love to find a solution to this. I think it would resolve some of these wild mileage calculations based on single partial tanks an legendarily unreliable stock odometers, inaccurate with even stock tires, but even more unreliable with the usual modern tire profiles. High reading odometers an low reading of gas volumes give these cars the 30-plus readings is my guess.

Last edited by guards73/2.0; 04-15-2003 at 06:15 PM..
Old 04-15-2003, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
use the same pump. put the nozzle in the same depth and use the auto cut off. has to be with in 1 percent...

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
Old 04-15-2003, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
...until you fuel at a slight incline/decline, OR get a pump with a more (or less) sensitive shutoff. These vary.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
OK, then--just fill up at the same pump (park in the same spot) and fill until the gas is even with the bottom of the filler. Takes some doing, I know... Wiggle the car to "burp" the bubbles out. (You get really strange looks when you do that--guess how I know??)

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-15-2003, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

or calculate the mileage over 2 or 3 consecutive fillups, so any errors are lessened against the larger sample.

odometers can be checked against the mileage markers on most interstates. Again, the larger the sample the better.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I have a BMW bike, and they make a system that does all of the calculating for you based on all kinds of parameters. I wonder if I could adapt on of these things to wortk with our engine. Check out the link
http://www.fuelplus.com/
Its pretty cool
-74 BMW R90
Old 04-16-2003, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
why is everyone so touchy on the fuel mileage issue? boy.....did you actually buy the car to get good mileage? well I did (the only car I could buy for $900 that got good mileage and was a little different), but I don't think many of you did. Different people can get different mileage any way. Some people are just smoother or have different drives, that can change a mileage reading up to 3 or 4 mpg. I know with our old blazer my dad could get 24 all the time, and no matter how easy I tried to drive it I only got 21....

WSU Formula SAE
Drivetrain team leader/ Suspension team
http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~sae/
Old 04-16-2003, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: