Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Wiring starter???

Hello again everyone,
I come to all in a wonderous state... Exactly how is the started supposed to go? So far this is what I have, is it right?
BTW its a '73 914 2.0L with all stock

On drivers side bolt - red wire to alternator
On passangers side bolt - black to ground on battery
On closest to ground the think yellow wire from the relay.

I have the ground strap hooked up, (I think, do I just bolt it to the tanny?)

When I go to start the car, very loud gas pump (Is this normal) runs, then a hugh clunk from the starter... end of story. Someone said before that they short-circuted the two post termainals on the starter and it worked, why whould that be?

Ah, so close yet so far.

Thank you everyone so far for all the help.

P.S. I just got my plates for the car... In Michigan for historical plates (car must be 25 years old or older) I paid $30, and I dont need to register the car for another 10 years. So my Porsche now has a Apr 2011 sticker on it
Old 10-08-1999, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It's been a little while since I've seen my starter eye-to-eye, as it were, but I'm pretty sure you have it wired wrong.

OK, the red wire from the alternator AND the fat black (or red on Brian K.'s car) wire from the (+) terminal on the battery both go to the same stud on the solenoid. It should be the one toward the outside, away from the starter motor.

The yellow wire from the ignition switch (by way of the relay board) has a push-on "flag terminal" on the end that slips over a lug sticking out up near the top of the solenoid.

The other stud on the end of the solenoid should not be connected to ANYTHING oustide of the starter. (It transfers the power from the big battery wire to the actual starter motor, there will be a braided strap or some such already on it.) Just leave it alone.

Ground path is purely through the casing of the starter, through the tranny case, up the tranny ground strap to the chassis, through the battery ground strap to the battery. The tranny ground strap goes on one of the studs that holds the rear cover on the tranny, and on a stud sticking down from the trunk floor.

HTH.

--DD
Old 10-08-1999, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
DD is right on, but maybe this will help even more.

RES systems wiring harness

[This message has been edited by JP Noonan (edited 10-09-1999).]
Old 10-09-1999, 10:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thank you DD and JP. I got the engine to crank, now I just need to replace my cables and pray I can get it started... Thank you again, you two have been a big help to me.
Old 10-10-1999, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: