Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

raer caliper adjusting screw

On the rear caliper for a 914 is the inside adjusting screw covered by a cap with a allen socket in it?
Does this unscrew or is it held in by another means? if it does unscrew mine must be frozen.

I am gettng started on rebuilding and thought I would make sure I can get everything loose that needs to come loose.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The cap with the allen socket does indeed unscrew...if it's not stripped

The adjusting screw inside should move, too(?) (and maybe even slide out, if you're not careful)
Old 04-16-2003, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The original allen head cover screws were made of very soft metal and were prone to sticking and the allen socket hole getting rounded out. I had to remove one of mine by chiseling a slot into it and removing with a screwdriver. All fun stuff. An aftermarket cover screw was offered with a hex head which was stronger. I have a set of these and have had no trouble with them since.

Mike
Old 04-16-2003, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Where did you get the aftermarket caps?
Old 04-16-2003, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gm9142l
yeah those inner adjuster cover screws can be a royal pain. I used a set of ez-outs on mine after the hex stripped out of them. Put the replacement type in and have had no problems since

74 914 2.0 | 84 BMW 318i | 86 944 | 05 325xi
Old 04-16-2003, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gm9142l
mine came from Tweeks back before they got bought out. Pelican has them, look under caliper caps in the brakes section. They are the inner cap

74 914 2.0 | 84 BMW 318i | 86 944 | 05 325xi
Old 04-16-2003, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
When the inside adjusting screw comes out....

Clean it off, slop it with grease and put it back in. It will hold. I wish I'd listened to Mike95125, or at least understood what he meant.

James
Old 04-16-2003, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I got Pelicans replacement. Much easier to work with. On the other the PO had already done the screwdriver mod you spoke of.

I hated messing with the inner adjustments. Was there a reason Porsche went with that design? (I'm clueless)
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 04-16-2003, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

On one of my rear calipers I have no parking brake or venting clearance adjustment...

The screw is in there, but seems to be stripped as turning it has no effect on the venting clearance.

Will the pelican screw and a rebuild solve this?
I haven't heard much about this screw in the past (must have been snoozing).. what can you tell me about it.

thanks
brant
4 gallons of gas
and 1826 lbs (wet)
Old 04-17-2003, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It is unlikely. Try pushing the piston in while turning the screw. Sometimes the adjustment mechanism can detach from the inside of the piston, and sometimes pushing it back in while turning the screw in the "retract" direction (forget which way is which) will cause it to grab.

The inboard adjuster just slides right out. You can compare yours--if they're the same, a new adjuster won't help.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-17-2003, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
i'll tell you what i don't like about the hex head replacement covers for the allen head covers. with the hex head covers, if you unbolt the caliper, you cannot rotate the caliper off the disk because the cover won't clear the trailing arm so you have to remove the cover before moving the caliper. an inconvenience but also a bother.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: