Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Help! Hot stalling question

Here is my problem – I have a ‘73’ 1.7 that I have had for a little over a year. It was in the body shop getting “un-rusted” all of last summer so I was not able to drive it. After getting my baby done, I would drive the car and after 15min, it would idle down and stop. This would mostly happen when I was in neutral coming to a stop at an intersection – go figure??? I took the car to Blagoi’s here in Columbus (great place) to get a tune up, hoping they could find the problem. No luck. It was idling at the correct RPM, but would die on me like before. I had the car towed back and Blagoi thought the problem was the pressure sensor. I put another sensor in and the car did the same thing. The car’s idle was set around 2,000 RPM’s and would stay running until the engine got hot(she did run longer at the higher RPM). I took the car out last night and drove her for about 45 minutes and she then stopped – at a traffic light! Took about two minutes to get the engine running again. Engine was cranking but seemed not to want to start until I would pump the gas. Any ideas?

Jon
Old 04-16-2003, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Head temp sensor. If it gets unplugged, you wind up with very similar symptoms.

General--check all the wires and hoses. Make sure they're plugged in solid, the hoses don't leak, and so on. Verify the basic engine function (valve adjustment, compression test) and the ignition system. Then start checking FI components.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-16-2003, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Check your Cylinder Head temp sensor, the thing above #3 spark plug. Could be disconnected, or a bad unit. Careful removal is critical, because its easy to strip the hole. Look at pbanders site regarding testing the CHT
Old 04-16-2003, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

So odd, I had the same thing happen to me. Mine is a vacuum leak and replacing the hoses has pretty much cured it. I still need a tune up though. My car currently idiles at below 1000.

2000 VW Jetta VR6
1989 BMW 325i with premium broken speaker package
1973 Porsche 914 1.7 SOLD
Old 04-16-2003, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: