Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

No hot starting

Hi all,

I took my 914 out for a drive for the first time ever today. It was a lot of fun, till I stopped at 7-11 for a slurpee. Went out to start the car, and it wouldn't start. It cranked over great, but wouldn't fire at all. I've reviewed some old posts on this, and I have a few ideas of what to check, but I have one question. Does D-Jet use a check valve in the fuel pump? The same thing happened to my 79 Rabbit, and it turned out to be the check valve, so I was thinking that would be a good thing to check. Is this something to check, or will it be something else. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
82 VW Rabbit
Old 04-19-2003, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Do you have the accelerator to the floor when trying to start the car in this condition? Anyway, that is what the owner's manual recommends.
Old 04-19-2003, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The pump itself acts as a check valve, though there is no explicit check valve.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-19-2003, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I've been having the same problems on my 1.7 but after my valve adjustment. I put inn a new fuel system from the gas tank to injectors. Starting was fine before the adjustment. Now it won't idle or start when warm. The accelerator is to the floor and then some when doing a warm start. There is a lot of air going through but no fuel. My fuel pressure set at 30psi (new regulator) for the Georgia summer. Before the adjustment, I had it at perfect idle, 800 rpms. DO you think I'm frustrated? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Old 04-19-2003, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Check the CHT sensor. It could have gotten unplugged somehow; this will cause this problem.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-20-2003, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have checked and replaced the CHT twice. Still nothing. Now I think there is too much fuel going to the injectors. I pulled the plugs and they were black. Replaced the plugs. It does sound like a CHT problem. Replacing the CHT a year ago worked but not now. It could be the wrong timing but it idles at 800-1,000 before it gets hot and dies. No cold start problems. Starts at first turn of the key. I took "my problem child" out tonight for a test drive. The car rans smooth.No backfire, no buckling. I've search this site for over 3-4 hours and still no insite. Everything is new and a Porsche product. Could the rebuilt MPS be malfunctioning? Could the ignition switch be causing this problem, battery, starter, etc? Thanks for your insite.
Old 04-20-2003, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: