Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Air compressors for shop use?

Looking for a good air compressor to run tools and a bead-blasting cabinet

What should I look for in a compressor?

Oil lubricated, vs. oil-free?

Compressor considersations (motor type).

Horsepower?

Flow rate (SCFM at 90 PSI)?

Any particular brands to avoid?

I'd like to stay around $700 or less.

Thanks,
Old 04-20-2003, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Karl, (my Central Florida 914 brother)

Go to the 911 board and do a air compressor search. There was a thread a few months ago that went on and on. It has all you need to know in it.

Paul

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 04-20-2003, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

karl, dspturtle (jb) recently got a setup for working on his 914. maybe he will give you his experence.

doug

ps, thanks for the aa tip ..... i ...ahhhhhh ... "forgot" about them. (-:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougwatersfotos/
Old 04-20-2003, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I bought a small stacked compressor. As to size, get bigger than you think you need. As to cost, take a look at http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/2,6.html (it is where I bought mine). If that link fails, just do http://www.cumminstools.com
You need not be anywhere near $700.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
sears craftsman...6hp, single stage, 120v 30 gal. I even use it to do some light sandblasting...270 bucks on sale...

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 04-21-2003, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I got the same one Scott's talking about. Mine was even bundled with a 3/8 ratchet and impact wrench and hose. Works good for everything I've had to do. Die grinder gives it a workout, though. Scott--how's it work with the sand blasting? I'm going to go pick up a sand blaster at Sears this week.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Pretty much like the die grider or cut off wheel...I have one of the harbor frieght sand blast kits ...$ 9.99 includes a pick up tube a gun and four nozzels. about the largest thing I would try is a 15" wheel...You could do a larger piece but the unit will run, and run.

Small stuff it works great...The sears unit has extreme valve for the weekend warrior types

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 04-21-2003, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Small tanks like that aren't going to power a bead blastint cabinet for very long. You need 60 gallons and min 5 HP. 7-20 CFM at 90 PSI.

Great for tools, but my biggest need is for the blating cabinet.

I think I'm leaning towards...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32357

Regards,
Old 04-21-2003, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

that's a very nice choice kellzey
Old 04-21-2003, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I have a 60 gallon compressor that I bought from Home Depot. It's an upright tank with single stage pump. Cost $400 and it provides enough air to run a sandblaster all day. I wore out my old 26 gallon compressor trying to keep the sandblaster going... it could barely keep up with me and the motor was running almost all the time.

The 60 gallon compressor does require 220V.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The Harbor Freight compressor you identified is still too small for a decent blast cabinet... how do I know, because I have a compressor with CFM rated slightly higher than that one and I have a Harbor freight blast cabinet... not enough air.... you can only blast efficiently in shorter intervals which multiplies the time you spend blasting by a factor of 3-4 than if you had sufficient CFM.

I would go with

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47193

This is the level of CFM I want to upgrade to.

Always get higher CFM than you think you will need and for a blast cabinet you will need a lot to work efficiently.

- Dave

One fan blasted one not..... makes a lot of difference.

Old 04-21-2003, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Potter
I concur with all of the above advice......and offer this: Don't try to get a compressor that will fit ALL of your needs. There is no such thing as a compressor that will have the power, durablilty, and stamina of one required for sand blasting that can ALSO be used to lug upstairs so you can put crown moulding in your bedroom. And trying to split the difference with a compromise unit just makes your sandblasting frustrating, and you still have to lug a 150 lbs tank to go mobile.

Best bet is to buy one of the big dogs like the folks here are suggesting......and once you come to the conclusion that air power is the greatest thing since the phillips head screw, you can pick up a nice cheap pancake compressor for the mobile jobs.

P.S. Many many dirtbags buy compressors for a specific job and then return them to the store. The store can't sell them as new, so they go into the clearance section. I got a Porter Cable pancake 3HP 6 Gal for $70.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Umm Ken... that compressor you recommended is twice my budget.

For that price, can farm out all future jobs I need the blaster for.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Or maybe this one...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41812

13.4 CFM at 90 PSI. Almost 3 CFM higher than the other compressor.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Karl,
An 80 gallon 2 stage would do nicely for what you are trying to do. The ones at lowe's or home depot go for about $700. I have a 60 gallon and it works great but I do not sand blast. It runs my DA without too much trouble. Harbor Freight is cool but... CH is a good brand though. If I had it to do over again, I would spend the few extra bucks for the two stage 80 gallon and use 1" trunk line instead of 1/2". Definietely go with a lubricated pump. These things are loud enough but I have listened to an oilless and it is even louder. With a good quality filter/regulator you will never have to worry about the oil that gets past the rings myth. I used Sharpe... you can do a search on the web, they are pretty much the best affordable filter regualtor out there ($100 per station). Whatever you do, make sure you isolate it from the floor. Lord corporation sells some very nice isolators. Most of the compressors are made by the same people... even though mine is sold by Devilbliss the plate on the side says something else. Good luck, I went a little overboard with my shop air system but it is fun to show off to all of my friends!!!
JB
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 04-22-2003, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Potter
Do you begin to see a pattern? Decide what you think is a reasonable and acceptable solution...........then buy a BETTER one. It's like buying a headache remedy. Do you buy the regular or the "maximum strengh" product? Nuff said.

BTW, $700 is a LOT of money to spend..........that should be able to purchase a very reasonable system that will fullfill your needs....no question about it.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I started off in the opposite direction with air tools. I had my heart set on the Sear's 33 gallon oiless compressor but then was lamenting that if I had a 60 gallon I could do this or that with it. Well, I ended up with a higher performance 20 gallon compressor (oil, belt driven, puts out about 6 scfm). I'm happy. It will do pretty much everything I need it to do and it's a little portable.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I have a different theory. I went w/ the 30gal 4hp CH belt drive that tucks nicely under the workbench. Won't run a bead blaster but will run just about anything else. I have become addicted to the angle die grinder w/ roloc attachments. I have 150' of hose so that I can use it to remove the calcium build-up on the pool tile once a year.

I didn't want to take up the space in the garage for the big compressor. Unless you go w/ a 2 stage, the big tank doesn't get you much.

Also have a little 3gal from Costco to run a finish nailer that I use occasionally.

Stay away from the oil less direct drive units. They turn @ a higher RPM and make so much noise that they will drive you out of the garage.

73 2.0
Old 04-22-2003, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

This is what I ended up getting!

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=1&paID=4905&sonID=6518&productID=1394

Regards,
Old 04-27-2003, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Nice compressor!
Old 04-27-2003, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: