Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Exclamation Just rolled it

Well, the odometer, anyway. My little clean 74 just rolled over 100,000 miles on my way home from Easter dinner. It now proudly displays 0000006.

I got ahold of the second owner of my car. I am the 4th, and I know the 3rd really well. He verified my question of weather or not the engine is a virgin. Since I have verified back to when the car had 20k on it, I can say with reasonable certainty, that the motor has never been apart.

Some of you may know who he is. I don't have my note in front of me but his name is Wyn, and he owns, I believe Continental Motors in Sacremento, CA area. He was really nice and told me that the only non stock item in the car is an aluminum pressure plate from when he did the clutch at about 75k miles.

Hope you all had a wonderfull Easter.

"Don't retreat, reload." Sarah Palin
Old 04-20-2003, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

My original engine has 160K on it and it's still strong. AFAIK, the engine has been apart once for a broken head stud and the previous owner put in a new oil cooler and replaced all the seals so it doesn't leak a drop.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I'm more impressed that your odometer is still working!
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 04-21-2003, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by bludden
I'm more impressed that your odometer is still working!
This car was really pampered. All except for the passenger side door dings which happened in his own garage. I really don't want to have to repaint, because it is cool to have a car that is so clean and never restored.

Old 04-21-2003, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Rob914
ive got 108,600 on mine as of today and i cant afford the engine rebuild for i dunno 5 years, the car leaks oil but other than that its strong, when do u recommend a rebuild, how long can they go without one
Old 04-21-2003, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Mileage expectations are dependant on too many factors. Things like how they are driven and the care they recieve play a huge factor. In my old VW days working at a VW garage, we saw quite a few VW Type IV's (Busses) with 1.7-1.8 and 2.0 motors with over 150k on the original motors. The 914 is much lighter, so life may be longer.

There are people on this list who have been around 914's much longer than I that can better answer this than I. I just know mine runs perfect.

Jay

Old 04-21-2003, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mikester
Door dings might be able to be repaired without repainting via one of thoese mobile paintless dent remover places.

My boss just had some taken out of his mercedes for around $200, signigicantly less than the dealer wanted to charge him...

I heart Boobies
Old 04-21-2003, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The problem is that they are more door chips, not dings. There is virtually no dent, just paint chips all over the passenger door. I may get the correct paint and sand each chip properly then airbrush the chips. Then follow up with a good color sand and buff and see what happens.

Jay

Old 04-21-2003, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: