Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

trans drain plug stripped

Any tricks for removing a stripped transaxle drain/fill plug? Mine are starting to round-out. My 17mm allen wrench keeps slipping out. New plugs will be needed but gotta get the old ones out first. Any chance they are reverse threads?

I'm thinking a couple of spot welds to attach the plug and wrench. Then grind the welds off after removing the plugs. What kinda of metal are the plugs.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

They are right-hand (standard) thread and are made of steel.

The risk is that the trans case is magnesium, if you get it too hot with welding, well, that would be BAD!

If enough of the plug is sticking out, you can try some vice grips on the outside. It's a longshot, but I have had it work before.

JWest Engineering
Old 04-21-2003, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Plugs are pretty much flush.

I'd be using a wire feed or arc welder. A couple of seconds of heat is all there is. But I'll have to find a 17hex socket. If I weld my allen wrench, I'll only get 1/4 turn before the end on the wrench hits something. Then I'm ****ed.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
You can try a chisel to turn the plug. I also know people who have drilled out the plugs. Not a fun job...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-21-2003, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
On Mike95125's plugs, I applied heat to the case around the plug to loosen them. I'd try that before anything as drastic as welding.

James
Old 04-21-2003, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Use a combo platter of the Dave’s and James' methods.
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Re: trans drain plug stripped

Quote:
Originally posted by odie
Any tricks for removing a stripped transaxle drain/fill plug? Mine are starting to round-out. My 17mm allen wrench keeps slipping out. New plugs will be needed but gotta get the old ones out first. Any chance they are reverse threads?

I'm thinking a couple of spot welds to attach the plug and wrench. Then grind the welds off after removing the plugs. What kinda of metal are the plugs.
I had to do this to get mine out. It actually worked. I tried a few spot welds but they broke and I ended up welding a bead which held. I was also nervous about the magnesium case but maybe I was just lucky...please read as "do this at your own risk". I never tried to save and reuse the 17 mm allen wrench...I kept it as a momento in my tool box. When I bought the replacement plug I noticed it was much deeper than the one I removed...so there was alot for the 17 mm allen wrench to now grab. Should not be a problem from here on out. One thing for sure...I won't be putting too much torque on those things...just enought to keep the trans oil in.

Good luck

Alex
Old 04-21-2003, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Try some impact on that puppy. Use an air hammer with a flat face and jar the hell out of the area around it, then give it a try.

If all else fails, use the hammer and chisel trick and be a butcher.

I made a tool for a 1/2 impact by using a 17mm headed engine mount nut, welded onto an old socket, I have had it so long that it is starting to get worn out its self. Using it on an impact can give enough torque tyransfer to jar almost anything loose.
www.massivetype4.com
Old 04-21-2003, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I like the impact wrench idea. I just need to find a 17mm hex impact socket. Any ideas who sells 'em? Snap On, Matco, Craftsman/Sears, Harbor Freight?

I'll try heating up the case a little with a propane torch before using the impact wrench.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
You want to heat it quite a bit and then work immediately, since the tranny is full of fluid.

James
Old 04-22-2003, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I know...I'll cut the end off my 17mm allen wrench and insert it into a 17mm impact socket. If it still slips, I'll weld the hex stub onto the plug and crank it out. I have no other use for my17mm hex and I can always buy another at Sears.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I had the same problem & tried the opposite of James' solution: I applied ice to the plug. Let it sit there a good long while. Not sure if it really worked or if I just convinced myself, but the plug came out.

Mark
Old 04-22-2003, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: