Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Throttle cable lubrication

What does everyone use to make thier throttle cable work smoothly? Graphite powder or something?
-Todd
Old 04-21-2003, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Make sure all the pieces work smoothly. The bellcrank on the pedal cluster, the hinge in the throttle pedal, the throttle plate itself, and the cable. You can try graphite powder or bicycle brake cable lube on the cable. But the cause of a stiff pedal is very often in one of the other parts of the system.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-21-2003, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Dave is right about the pedal system being the main culprit. But I did find a while back that my cable had some old grease on it that had hardened and was causing it to stutter as the cable slipped through a teflon guide ring that is hanging from the tunnel near the front. I cleaned the cable and lubed it with cable lube from flaps and that did the trick.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

For several years I tried lubing the cables with a pressure oiler I had leftover from my m/c racing days and found it makes no difference. The other parts are where stickyness can most usually occur.
Good luck
Old 04-21-2003, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: