Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Stuck Bleeder valves

I need some help. The bleeder valves on all four calipers are frozen in place. I have tried no-name penetrating oil and vice grips (the valves were already rounded off when I got the car) to no avail. Any thoughts? It sure would be nice to be able to bleed the brakes.

MORE PELICAN PRAISE! I just received my AA catalog (I don't order, I only look at the pictures) and PP's prices are lower on everything that I have ordered! (from PP of course)
Old 10-14-1999, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It may only be my poor quality vise grips which slip on stuff, but I always have better fortune with a long handled pair of channel lock pliers with stuff that is stripped... or even unstripped for that matter. It is quite amazing how much gripping pressure you can get when you are sqweezing hard on the ends of those long handles. Also... keep putting in the liquid wrench stuff a couple times a day while you are figuring out what to do next.

- Dave
Old 10-14-1999, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
The no name (and some brand names too) stuff is pretty worthless. Stay away from WD-40 (yes it works on occasion, but it is mostly alchohol). I've found PB Blaster is the best. Spray it on, then tap the bolt with something. Repeat. The tapping helps get the penetrant in there. About Vise grips, they can be sharpened. Use a small "v" file to make the teeth pointed again, or buy a new pair. Be patient.

Once you get the bleeder out, replace them!!!

Be prepared, if you break off a bleeder, you need to remove the caliper, drill out and tap the bleeder, and because of all the shavings you may need to rebuild the caliper. Best thing is if you break the bleeder take the caliper to a machine shop.
Old 10-14-1999, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

As JP said the best option is to take them to a good machine shop since at the bottom of those little valves is the seat that the valve seals against when closed and if the drill goes to far it would damage the seat, that would be a pretty hard item to get repaired.
Old 10-14-1999, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: