Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Dyno Stuff

Hey all!
I've been trying to find out from the guys on the 911 and 924/944 BBS where I could find the info for their engines for use in the Dekstop Dyno software. I e-mailed Pelican, and they couldn't help, even went so far as to say it would be pointless. All the same, I'd like to see if I could find it. The 911 listers must be too busy playing with their "real" Porsches to answer a lowly "VW" driver (LOL). Anyways, someone here turned me on to a dyno site for my teener (which was INCREDIBLY helpful), so I thought I'd post here.
On the update side of things, I've found out there's no way to duct air through the fog lgiht openings in a 916 spoiler (no space). On the other hand, I've been thinking of different ways to do it. More air is a God send for our coolant-deprived babies, and I'm praying like crazy! So thanks in advance for whatever help you guys can give, and I'll talk to everyone later!!

Dave
'72 2.0L
Old 10-06-1999, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
If what you need is the cam specs and air cfm of the heads etc. try the Porsche factory spec book. They are only about $10. My friend has the one for the 930, I'll take a look. What exactly do you need?
Old 10-06-1999, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well, let's see. I need:
1. Bore and Stroke
2. Intake and Exhuast Valve diameters
3. Compression Ratio
4. CFM rating
5. For the cam, I need IVO, IVC, EVO, EVC, intake lift @ valve, exhaust lift @ valve
The program calculates the durations for the cam, so I don't need to worry about that. Then there's little variables like type of exhaust and whatnot. The only downside is that it won't calculate for turbos. But it would be intersting to see what those engines would be making without their turbos! Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 10-07-1999, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

How do you like the software? I used it once anf it was +3 hp over a real dyno. Not bad.

[This message has been edited by Dane (edited 10-07-1999).]
Old 10-07-1999, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
10 yrs already??

is there a version of the software, or any software, that has a turbo version? i'm curious as to what it would say about my engine.

-jim-
Old 10-07-1999, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm finding the software to be rather fun. It's nice to be able to change things like the bore and stroke and see what it does throught the RPM range. For instance, a larger crank gives a good low-end gain, but takes huge amounts off top-end power. Anyways, I'm still looking for the info for 911 and 924/944 engines. And no, I'm not aware of any turbo versions of the software. Too many variables I would assume- the turbo has a lot to do with flow ratings that can't be simulated.
Old 10-07-1999, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Look for Jeeff Dunnings site he has already ran the Desktop Dyno on all sorts of type-4 engines.

home.sprintmail.com\~jeffreydunning\shr\dynomain.h tm
Old 10-14-1999, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: