Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

The "Little" Big Four!!

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/customers/jhanson/

That was a dyno run from today, broke the barrier with only 2300cc of displacement.

lemme know what you think.

I could have made more horsepower with shorter intakes, and peaked at a higher RPM, but this is a torque engine, and I ran a tad longer intake tract.

Even though the power drops off, I still managed to take it to 8000 and hold it there, what a beast.
www.massivetype4.com
Old 04-22-2003, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, Where do I sign up

IS this motor going into a 914? If so, have you solved the clutch slip issue you were having in your car? I love this research you are doing, wow! I would have thought it'd be a nickies engine that'd break the barrier. GREAT work!

Nathan
'02 S6 Avant
'99.5 A4 2.8 / '65 Ducati Falcon 80
Old 04-23-2003, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yes, this goes into a 914 that is only used for Autocross. The clutch slip problems were solved with a disc from Centerforce.

That barrier is not a barrier with a Nickies equipped really big TIV, I'm doing a 2.8 now that should break 220 with pump gas and 10:1 and do it only at 5500RPM.
www.massivetype4.com
Old 04-23-2003, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I checked the dyno sheets from my race engine and it is somewhat different than the ones you make. My torque is higher than the horsepower and it comes in at 3100 RPM and stays nearly flat until 4800 when it drops off some. I think this is from having a long stroke motor with short rods and the fact that the cam has a mild lift off the closed position but stays open for a long time? This makes for a really nice road race engine that can power out of corners easily. I imagine you will be using a really close ratio gear set in the tranny?
Old 04-23-2003, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

This engine is 80mm stroke and 96mm bore. You get your lower end numbers from the bigger bore.

This engine also has a short rod and higher rod ratio. I stick with the 96 bore for many reasons, especially since I like high CR this engine has 11:1
www.massivetype4.com
Old 04-23-2003, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Jake,

Congrats on the 200 HP barrier.

I assume you are running an air fuel mixture meter. If so, what is your ratio??
Old 04-23-2003, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have broke 200 alot of times, but never with an engine this small, with this amount of compression.
www.massivetype4.com
Old 04-23-2003, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Jake,

Any more info on the engine? I am guessing that it is using the nickies? And what heads? Carbs?

Thanks for the updates...I am finally getting close to being able to really push mine...

Tony
Old 04-24-2003, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

No nickies on this one...based from 2.0 core heads.......just really efficient!
www.massivetype4.com
Old 04-24-2003, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: