Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Post body people

does anyone know a Dallas area body person that can, and is willing to show me how to fix a couple of things on my '72? I've read a couple of books but most of them assume that I have a bunch of nifty tools... I have a hammer and mostly I'm just afraid of making things worse in a couple of spots. if there are any volunteers I would be more than happy to pay what I can...

Last edited by tat2dphreak; 04-28-2003 at 12:12 PM..
Old 04-23-2003, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

not a professional, nor do i play one on tv, but i'll help if i can. What is it you're trying to do?
Old 04-23-2003, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
well, the biggest thing I need done is this: my head lights hit my hood when they raise because
1) on the passenger side the "box" frame that holds them is beat up and pushed back(towards the windshield) hitting the hood right behind the light
and
2) on the driver side everything looks ok, but the hood is too close to the headlight and scrapes if the light goes up or down.

I'll take pictures this weekend and put them on here to explain...
other than that I just need some fiberglass cracks fixed(which I can do) and a paint job (which I'll get done after the body)
Old 04-23-2003, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
boy I looked at your website thing on pelican and it looks like you got alot of work to do to fix your headlight problem. The severity of the work probably depends on how those headlights and the things he put in place of the old ones are mounted. I'm sure it cna be fixed, but how hard will it be to fix em is the question. A hammer's a good start to any body work.

WSU Formula SAE
Drivetrain team leader/ Suspension team
http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~sae/
Old 04-23-2003, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I have stock headlights in there now... but the body isn't straight enough to get them to work without hurting my paint more(I lost a big paint chip after the hail storm a few weeks ago... no dings thankfully though)

also, there are a couple of spots I need to weld... like one of the hinges on my rear trunk... anyone know of a cheap place to rent a wire-welder for a day?

Last edited by tat2dphreak; 04-24-2003 at 06:40 AM..
Old 04-24-2003, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

if you were in the hail storm, you must be on the north side of town. I'm down here in Midlothian, south side of the tracks.

If you can drive it down here, I have a wire welder I can make available. we just did the same fix to my car.

is it the mounting points for the headlight doors which are crooked on your car? Can a shim get you the space you need?
Old 04-24-2003, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I'm up in Richardson... a shim may work on one side, but the passenger side is more messed up.... a buddy tried to bang it into place and I think made it worse... I may try a shim this weekend on the driver side... hadn't thought of it before. the mounting points don't seem crooked... just too close on one side and too far up on the other

the car was covered for the hail storm but tree sap and such blew all over an already crappy paint job... and when I washed it off a bubble in the paint washed off too...

I'll take you up on the wire welder before long though... Midlothian isn't that far. I've been pretty busy on the weekends lately(getting married soon) but I hope to get some time to do some of this work.

I hope I'm wrong but it looks like the whole front may be off center!!!
Old 04-24-2003, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
pics of the problem

Itook some pics last night to try and show what my problem area is... I think you have the right idea on the passenger side after looking at it... the wholes to mount the light are crooked! the inside is too high and too close to the windshield, and the bottom one is too low.... on the driver side the mounts are correct and it mounts correctly, but it is not right with the body...

also, you can see the hood is not square with the body... which I thought could be why the driver side light won't work.. but it's off in the wrong direction... it should be too close on the passenger side if the hood was the culprit, however, there is a lot of space for the passenger side light. am I just screwed or what?
is it time to punt?
Old 04-25-2003, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
ok, so here's what's up... my body is just not square... someone suggested a 2x4 a hydrolic jack... but where do you put it?

also, has anyone though of putting something like mitsu 3000gt ('94-? non pop-ups) lights in the hole?
will they fit?

Last edited by tat2dphreak; 04-28-2003 at 12:26 PM..
Old 04-28-2003, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: