Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
Porsche Crest Dr. 914 actually SPEAKS!

Thought you guys would like to read a thread that His Honorable Dr. 914 himself (we can only assume) actually responded to:

Avoid ***********.com for parts.

PP just went up another notch.

Old 04-23-2003, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
It was him. He pimped more parts....no shill would do that...

James
Old 04-23-2003, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
You guys are soo tough on George. Where is Loan Dog to defend him?

Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 04-23-2003, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
so from what i hear just about everyone has bought like one thing from aa and then never gone back. How do they stay in business if nobody's buying anything from them?

WSU Formula SAE
Drivetrain team leader/ Suspension team
http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~sae/
Old 04-23-2003, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest

Well I'm one of those dips who ordered something from AA, got the wrong thing and had to return it (twice!) before I got the right thing.

I figured that I couldn't get bit twice, right? Wrong. Next order was wrong too. I wrote a letter to them to express my frustration and our good friend George called me. He was rude and condescending, but eventually I received satisfaction.

I plan on getting more satisfaction from them by never ever ordering again.

How can they stay in business? It's a mystery to me.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Quote:
Originally posted by Biggy72
so from what i hear just about everyone has bought like one thing from aa and then never gone back. How do they stay in business if nobody's buying anything from them?
I bought one thing from them.........their parts CD. And it came right away. It has the best parts diagrams for 6 bucks. Then I can tell the fine folks at Pelican exactly what I want.

On their staying in business, I think their local business (walk ins) is good. They apparently don't know how to do the mail or Internet order business very well. The mail order business is a tough business unless you stay right on top of it each and every day. I know, I had one once. The money looked good coming in the mail box, but I was constantly shipping and shipping and mailing and restocking and well, F***-it, I went back to real work for a living.

And what did I sell? Vitamins. Something my grandfather started and he made some good money at it on the side.

Last edited by Zeke; 04-23-2003 at 09:56 PM..
Old 04-23-2003, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
ya I ordered their parts cd way back when I first got my 914 too and then before I bought any parts I found this place and heard everything everyone else had to say.

WSU Formula SAE
Drivetrain team leader/ Suspension team
http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~sae/
Old 04-23-2003, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
It is really too bad. The 914 community is not large. For a place to have it's mainstay business so screwed up is amazing. About a year ago, they were selling a complete 914 seal kit for $150, as an introduction special. It really appealed to me, but, having been burned by them once before, I skipped on the deal.

James
Old 04-24-2003, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I buy from them from time to time, just takes awhile to get the parts.
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 04-24-2003, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I won a pack of fuses off Ebay. Really cheap! Didn't come for 2 weeks so I sent an email... twice! I got a pack of fuses 2 days later and another pack 5 days later. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing. (Or were they being nice guys?) YA.. RIGHT!
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 04-24-2003, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
Quote:
Originally posted by Bleyseng
You guys are soo tough on George. Where is Loan Dog to defend him?

Geoff
I'll do it for him. I don't defend the more annoying things that AA does: exhorbitant shipping/handling fees, overly optimistic descriptions of used parts, etc. But I've personally dealt with George Hussey on the phone many times over the past 20 years and have always been able to work out any problems.

As I'm sure those who are at PP would agree, the companies that endure are those that make money. AA certainly has endured, and I suspect that's due in large part by the fact that Hussey tries to figure out any way he can to make money. IMO, sometimes, perhaps often, AA's policies drive away some customers, and I think they'd do well to examine their policies. However, I for one am glad they're around as a resource. I've found parts through them at good prices that I wasn't able to find through any other souce. I view them as just yet another source for the 914 community. I think 914 owners often don't realize how good we have it in terms of suppliers. Most owners of 30+ year old autos are SOL when it comes to most parts, but we have many excellent sources.

I suggest to anyone who has had problems with AA in the past that they should phone AA and ask to speak to Hussey directly when dealing with problems. And I also suggest shopping around and using suppliers such as PP who sponsor additional services, such as this forum and the excellent technical article archive.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I got my CD from them for FREE. AA even PAID for shipping!!

I just sent them a nice e-mail asking about the differences between the paper catalog and the CD. About a week later, CD was at my home.

I must not be on the "whiner list"
Old 04-24-2003, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

check out the used front valances they have for sale on e-bay. In the
description it says something like," these really aren't that nice, but ...." HUH? PETE
Old 04-24-2003, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Not right in the head

Send a message via Yahoo to nutzforporsche
This will probably get a flame,..but what the heck I'm not out to win a popularity contest. Just doing some straight talk.

You will have to place me on the Non-Whiner list.

I have purchased from PP, AA, Performance, Luy and others. I have gotten great service from all. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I doubt it. I see a lot of banter on here and other sites, and frankly if someone was trashing my business and I could get with in 3 ft of them. I'd probably loose my temper and break my leg off in their a$$. So I'm a barbarian at times, I'm human! At least it gets results....as a last resort.

Lets take a look at from a civil manner. We love our cars right?!! We spend and spend and spend. The time will come when parts for these cars like all other classics, will get harder and harder to find. I'm not one to burn bridges. The very last thing I would want to do is pi$$ off the guy, who might be the only person who has my part. When you do, Cha-ching the flipping price has now gone up, or your part ends up in Bangkok. Realistic maybe..., mysterious no...., but something to think about.

I support all of the vendors, just ask my poor thinning wallet. I'm not partial or impartial to any. I want them all to stay in business to feed my obsession.
99' BMW 740iL
Old 04-25-2003, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

That was about the crudest thing I have said in years.

M

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/uploads/blog-1136350347.jpg

Last edited by M. Hendrix; 04-25-2003 at 06:57 PM..
Old 04-25-2003, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Steve:

The tactic they used to convince me to "not return the part" was that I would be blacklisted and unable to purchase from them. I caved, just for the reason you stated: if i needed a part, they might be the last ones to have it.

Will I do business with them again? I expect I will at somepoint in the future. If no one else has the part and I can't live without it.

I do wish to note, that Brad Ander's "devil's advocate" post just happened to be his "666th" post. Scary....

James
Old 04-26-2003, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I do buy parts from them and pay the high prices and shipping too but after shopping around. I just don't think we should just rip into them all the time, they do support 914's which is great.
Now if they would get a nicer webcatalog that is easier to use I would be happier.
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 04-26-2003, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
Quote:
Originally posted by red-beard
I do wish to note, that Brad Ander's "devil's advocate" post just happened to be his "666th" post. Scary....
Now you've gone and freaked me out....
Old 04-26-2003, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Not right in the head

Yup... James,
Just what I'm talking about "the ole blacklist thingy". This can be spoken or the worlds best kept secret "Them from you". Better to say nothing do your shopping around and get the blasted car finished. I know that I do get bargains from time to time and darns it is great to be able to compare shop. I'm just greatful to have a decent group to choose from. I only wish they gave out coupons LOL....

A fine example:
My buddy and I restored his 63 Rambler American 440H. These cars can be darn near impossible to find parts for. Shoot most are toasters or washing machines! They have a very very small group to buy from and most parts are below usable standard or the part numbers don't match from book to book. You pi$$ off one of them and you may as well look for another car to collect. I can ask my buddy how he knows......

He has the worst service, i.e Think you are getting the right part,...get the wrong part in the mail, send it back,...get another
(all the while shipping costs keep adding up and are more than the parts)!!!! This is the crap he goes through,...So really we have it pretty good. Nope no whinning here.....
99' BMW 740iL
Old 04-28-2003, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Not right in the head

Hendrix,
No Biggie,....
99' BMW 740iL
Old 04-28-2003, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: