Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Fuel rail to injector hose leak

First of all, SHE RUNS!!!!
After some fuel delivery and ignition problmes my 914 runs!!
I do have a fuel leak though. The short length fuel hose going from the fuel rail to the injector is very leaky. It connects to the fuel rail with a hose clamp- easy enough. But the other end of hose connects to the injector with one of those crimped fittings. So my question is how do I remove this hose from the injector and attach a new hose?
'78 928 w/ 13K miles (5 speed)
'75 914 2.0
Old 04-23-2003, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Acually, it's very easy. I used a set of channel locks, grabbed the hose as close to the injector as I could and with a twisting action pulled it off. You can also snip around the metal area of the hose to loosen it a bit. Then just put another "cut to fit" length of "Injector" hose on it with injector hose clamps. The first one is the hardest. I think Pelican might sell the preformed (bent) hoses and if they don't an import auto store prolly does. I just used injector hose and it did just fine.
good luck
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 04-23-2003, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Bruce. Is there something special about "injector hose clamps" or will regular fuel hose clamps that screw tight work. Basically do I need to use the same type of crimped fitting that came on this?
'75 914 2.0
Old 04-23-2003, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

No cripmed fitting necessary. Just make sure you have the hose on as far as it will go and get the clamp as close to the injector body as possible. The fuel line hose clamps are needed because the regular kind eventually cut the fuel lines and cause another leak. I just looked on Pelican for the clamps and they didn't list them but call them and they might have them. If not post something here and someone may sell you some.
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 04-23-2003, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I got my FI hose clamps at my FLAPS, very inexpensive.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
When I called Pelican a few years ago looking for the prebent ones they told me they did not have any in stock. They recommended I buy some fuel line (high pressure type) at my local auto parts store and cut it to length. The line bends from the fuel rail to injector without crimping the line and works great. I remember thinking about going to AA and spending the big $$ for the prebent stuff but after speaking to Pelican I felt comfortable doing it myself and saving all that money (I bet the new fuel line is of better quality than the NOS you may find for sale). As mentioned in the other posts here...use the proper clamps. To remove the clamp from around the injector I used a dremel w/cut off wheel and in a few minutes all four were removed and ready for the new hose/clamps.

regards

Alex

Last edited by azkiwi; 04-23-2003 at 09:13 PM..
Old 04-23-2003, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the input. I have replaced the hose and everything is back together.
'75 914 2.0
Old 04-24-2003, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The pre-bent hoses seem to have spotty availability. Sometimes they show up, but more often you can't get them. I'm not sure if they're just made in small batches, or if there are little "hoards" of them scattered around that people find, or what... But I've heard the NLA thing from many sources and then found them at one of those places the next year.

Regular hose works OK, but when I can get the pre-bent stuff I like to use it.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-24-2003, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
the pre-bent ones are nice when it comes to installing an engine. the hoses have the tendency to catch on the engine shelf when raising the engine and you don't have another person available to clear the hoses. i, however, do not have pre-bent hoses but i, however, do know about the hoses getting fouled in the bodywork when installing an engine
73 914 2.0 CIS #80
74 914 1.8L L-jet
83 911SC
Old 04-24-2003, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Napa has the clamps for sale. They are "fuel injection" clamps. About a dollar each, or a box of 10.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
What size clamps are you guys using? I tried some 5/16" fuel line clamps and even at max squeeze they were not as tight as I would have liked... I was thinking of going to an import/VW shop next time and trying to find some actual 7mm clamps.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
Quote:
Originally posted by RustyWa
Napa has the clamps for sale. They are "fuel injection" clamps. About a dollar each, or a box of 10.
These are the ONLY clamps you should use for this application. Standard hose clamps have the "gearing" cuts in the clamp that the worm gear drives. These cut into the fuel line and can lead to dangerous leaks. "Fuel injection" clamps use a different tightening mechanism and are smooth, preventing fuel line cuts and splits.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: