Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

worn tail shift rod & shift shaft

Finally decided to investigate sloppy tail shifter and figured I'd find worn bushings. Instead, I found extreme wear on the rear shift rod end and moderate wear on the shift lever shaft...see pics. Seems I could fill the worn areas with weld as shown in the pics and shape as best I can, or look for used parts. Anyone with experience with this, or pics showing what un-worn parts look like for reference to reshape mine?
Thanks
Ed

Old 04-23-2003, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
wow that's terrible. Looks like if you wouldn't have done something pretty soon it woulda just broke off. I don't know what to tell ya bout fixing it, but I sure hope that's not party of my shifting problems when I get around to fixing em

WSU Formula SAE
Drivetrain team leader/ Suspension team
http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~sae/
Old 04-23-2003, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
How about some replacement parts? I have lots of tailshift stuff hanging around. PM me and we'll work something out.

James
Old 04-23-2003, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I found this old thread while searching. You mean to tell me there is no bushing between these two points of contact? I am rebuilding my tail shifter and was wondering if I was missing a bushing or if this is the design. Seems rinky dink to me not to have some sort of bushing.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
There was an article from years ago, about brazing more material, back onto the parts to reduce the slack.

The best choice is to find a side shifter, shift rod and passenger compartment gear selector and replace.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It looks like for now, I will be doing some welding.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: