Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sealing the engine compartment

Hi everybody
You've probably seen this question a gajillion times before, so I apologise for the newbie-ness.
I'm planning on driving my 914 as much as possible this summer (mostly for gas savings compared to my ratty Chevy truck), and I'm concerned about getting caught in the rain, and that water getting into the engine compartment. I know I'll never seal out everything, but what are some important steps to take? There are so many openings (the engine cover, the intake grills next to it, etc) - that I'd like to prevent as much as possible.
Was there ever any factory seal system for this area, or does
anyone have any home remedies they've tried? I was thinking about some sort of rubber seal to attach to the engine cover, therefore filling the gap around it when closed (similar to the fender-to-cowl seal in front). That would leave the intake grills to experiment with.
Should I accept this and move on, leaving other avenues open for my paranoia to fester over? Or did someone out there share this anxiety and solve this problem? Do I need therapy?

Happy Friday Y'all
Jeff

"Why yes, I'll have another cup - no, on second thought, just leave the whole pot........."

Old 04-25-2003, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
there is supposed to be a rain tray under the large "open" section of the engine lid. at the sides, there is a little funnel to drain the water into funnels and tubes located at the sides of the engine compartment and the tube exits through the engine sheet metal to the ground. the well known problem with 914's (well, as we all know, one of the many well known problems......) is that the little openings to the sides of the engine lid allowed water to enter the engine compartment and on the passengers side, washes the top of the battery, which, unfortunately may have seeped battery acid. the battery "wash" then flowed down and the rest is history. so, i guess my answer is it can be sealed to a certain extent and there is a factory installed water drain system.
73 914 2.0 CIS #80
74 914 1.8L L-jet
83 911SC
Old 04-25-2003, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I've got the rain tray and the small funnels, but what about the seams between the engine cover, trunk lid, etc? It would appear that lotsa Wonderful Water Would Work its Way into the Engine Bay. There has to be some way to seal those up?
And I was also tossing ideas around on how to rig up some sort of rain tray/funnel deal for under those side grills too. Maybe each with a "T" fitting to attatch to the existing funnels. Hmmmmmm.......... Too much time on my hands I suppose?
Anyone feel free to chime in with ideas or maybe tell me to relax

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 04-25-2003, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

something else that is often over looked. in the 2 depression areas where the engine shelve meets the firewall there are 2 holes that have/should have little one way rubber drain valves. these are often plugged up, if they are, the water that most certainly gets in will puddle down there, bad, very bad. if yours are shot toss em. sooner a larger hole than none at all. other various seals/grommits have as much to do with keeping the heat out of the engine compartment as water coming up from the road.

kevin
Old 04-25-2003, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

when you're driving, little water will get in the engine compartment from above. if it starts raining keep on rollin to the blue sky. spring for a water proof cover if you can't park under cover.

kevin
Old 04-25-2003, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: