Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Stuck wheel

I had all four wheels off my car in the fall. Now I'm trying to install new calipers and my right front wheel won't come off the hub/rotor. Any ideas why this is happening or how to pry it off without hurting anything?

Thanks for any help. I'm baffled.

--Case...
Old 04-27-2003, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
i don't think there is anything to break if you pry off the wheel. i had a wheel that needed "persuasion", it turned out to be the center cap was "bent" in between the inside of the wheel and the dust cover of the bearing.
Old 04-27-2003, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Wish I had center caps.

They are aluminum wheels so I know they haven't rusted together over the winter (especially when the car hasn't been driven).

So where did you 'fulcrum' and where did you 'lever' without bending anything?

BTW, seeing that you are in Vienna, I was in your area last night. Went to a concert at Hylton Chapel. On second thought, that's further south than you. Half way to Fredericksburg. Never mind.
Old 04-27-2003, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

loosen lug nuts and shake car but not too loose just a single turn from tight
Old 04-27-2003, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Or support the car very very well and kick the living snot out of the tire.

A little rust on the hub, or corrosion on the wheel, will cause them to stick together.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-27-2003, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
since you're close (close enough for 914's) i've been following your progress on your car. central VA would be..... ?
Old 04-28-2003, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mikester
YEah,. I had the same problem...just had to persuade it enough without knocking the car off the jack stand.

It was rather frustrating though. First one came off fine - was in a hurry, second one stuck (right one in fact)...cuss words abound...

I heart Boobies
Old 04-28-2003, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Misery loves company. Not to say that I'm glad this has happened to some of you, but it's good to hear this is not absolutly uncommon.

I have a 5lb hammer with a short handle that I've been banging on the tire with and I've used the handle to give a rap to the hub and to the rim of the wheel. Guess I'm on the right track so I'll just keep trying.

Mike, I'm right with you on the 'knocking it off the jackstand' part.

Jam, north of Charlottesville on 29.

Borrowing from Scott, maybe I'll set it back down and try some dry steering (left to right).

Thanks!
--Case...
Old 04-28-2003, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Buy some "liquid wrench" or another rattlecan that can loosen things.. I have found this liquid wrench stuff a very helpful tool, especially with stuborn caliper pistons.. Just spray the stuff on, wait a sec and continue trying to get the wheel off, should come loose. Good luck!!
Old 04-28-2003, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Got it! Needed a bigger hammer and a 2 x 4.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Ok, feel free to tell me if this is a bone headed hack mechanic suggestion.

I used to hang out on the watercooled VW newsgroup and this was a common problem on Golf's and Jetta's. The often said answer was to loosen the lug nuts a little, drive the car forward a couple feet, and then step on the brake. It's supposed to free the wheel from the hub every time.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I have a friend who loosened the lug bolts on his 914's stuck wheel about 1/4 turn, and went for a drive. He said it took a few minutes before he heard that ugly rattling sound that meant the wheel was loose. He carefully made his way back to the parking lot, and finished swapping the wheels.

Probably not the smartest thing in the world...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-29-2003, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Yes, that does sound stupid. What I suggested though is a 3 foot drive/brake in the driveway.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

It is certainly an aggravation when it's in the driveway, but what a major bum it would be to have it happen when you have a flat. Seems that flats never happen on peaceful roads on sunny days. At least to me they don't. Mine have always come in the rain on a really busy road.....you know, where the only place to pull off is the 20' shoulder between the guardrail and the 80mph traffic.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2003, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by VARam1500

Mine have always come in the rain on a really busy road
Thanks!
Man, your car reminds me of a koi, in a nice way.

Koi would be a cool paint scheme for a racer.

M
Old 04-30-2003, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by M. Hendrix
Man, your car reminds me of a koi, in a nice way.
Yeah....I gues it does! I hadn't looked at it like that. I'm hoping it will be all red again someday, but it doesn't get paint until it's driveable to the body shop. I've got a few bare metal spots that I need to hit with primer.

--Case...
Old 04-30-2003, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: