Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

SCCA Street Prepared 2.0 engine recipe

Hi all,

I have a 912E which just about everyone knows has a 2.0 914 style engine in it. I autocross the car in the F Street Prepared class and I find myself at a serious horsepower disadvantage on many courses. I realize the car will never be fast, but I know there is legal power to be had that I am giving away.

So, if you Type IV gurus were going to build a motor for this class (we'll get to the rules in a minute) what would you suggest?

Basically, you have to stick with stock internals and displacement. No forced induction. Any normally aspirated induction is okay. So is any type of ignition. Heads and manifolds can be port-matched to one inch of the opening. Exhaust is unrestricted.

For those with an inquisitive mind, here's a link to the text of the rules:

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/sp.html#s1410

Let me know what you all think. Fire away!

David
- 71 Jaguar XJ6 Series 1
- 17 Shelby GT350
Old 04-28-2003, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
IMHO, SCCA hates Porsche....911s, 914s and 912s....you will never be competitive until you run a car that is the top time that YOU want to beat....
Old 04-28-2003, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

David,

IMHO, SCCA does not favor Porsches.

Having said that, not to much you can do to a 912 to get the HP to compete against modern 2.0 motors. The rules do not allow for fun stuff like replacing the stock 2.0 motor with a 911S 2.0 motor.

You could change to carbs or aftermarket FI systems. A set of headers would help. However, some of the biggest gains will be in the tires and suspension.

There is also an article in GRM that states what they did to a 'stock' 914 DJet motor
Old 04-28-2003, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Guys,

My engine presently is set up as follows: dual 40 IDF's with small velocity stacks; 050 distributor with a custom curve; Permatune, adjustable fuel pressure regulator; NGK wires; Blue coil; Bosch WR7DC plugs; custom header.

I have not done any work to the heads at all. I have a second set of heads in the basement that I could have gone through and matched to a set of manifolds if I knew what to expect for the effort.

I've done a lot of work to my suspension and I'm getting close to happy with it. Aside from installing an LSD at some point, I'm really only concerned about the lack of HP at this point (and of course getting to be a better driver).

I actually think the 912 (and to a lesser degree the 912E) is fairly classed in FSP by the SCCA.

What do you guys believe can be gained in headwork and balancing the internals?

David
- 71 Jaguar XJ6 Series 1
- 17 Shelby GT350
Old 04-28-2003, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The 912E is a heavier car with different gearing than the 914. I build a ton of 912E engines and have done alot of research on their drivelines, and specific parts.

what class are you running in SCCA, I have 4 possible combos for a competitive engine. with any class limited engine the main factor is fluffing and buffing and squeezing power from everywhere that you can. Reading the rules NOT STATED in the book is another talent that is needed.....

www.tangerineracing.com has a super header just for the 912E thats a bolt on power change and does good on the decimerter at the track also.
www.massivetype4.com
Old 04-28-2003, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Why cant you touch the internals? ie lightening flywheel and knifeing the crank? does that count? the flywheel isnt internal.. You could probably pick up a few hp if you dyno it and compare it to the factory numbers.. if the factory numbers are better, might be time for you or someone like Jake to rebuild it good.. Well good luck man! I dont know too much about these things but these other guys do!!!

Oh and Im listening for hints as well hehe..
Old 04-28-2003, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Here's what I'd do: Item A: check to see if a dry sump is possible? If so use a 3 stage pump and run a vacuum in the crank case, worth 5 HP or so. Item C: Use Weber 48's choked down to 32mm or something usable but open the heads out to the size of those intake manifolds (large). Item I: solid mounts. Item J: keep the front mounted fan and use only 4 blades, no alt belt or alt. Item L: Solid carbon disk and 3500# pressure plate. Item N: GT limited slip since there are very tight turns. Item O: Go the max over bore. Item Q: See C above and match the manifolds. Item S: Mill the heads the max allowed. I did not see any mention about the valves, if they have to be stock use a good valve job and make sure the head CCs are the minimum the factory ever had. Run no alt and use a batt and charge cart if allowed? Finally make the gears for 2, 3, 4 & 5 as close together as possible and make 2nd the same as 1st so you'll get a better shift pattern. Make sure the gear box is done by a real wizard such as Wayne Baker's shop in San Diego and if possible have several set of gears. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

SCCA does seem to have a thing against the 914 in particular... but check the back of your rule book and see that STOCK 914's won the Solo 2 Nationals 3 years in a row from '91-'93... that's a 20 year old car beating the pants off of brand-new cars - that's what SCCA didn't like.

So they re-classed it with 1.8 Miatas that have a 30-40hp advantage... they'll do the same thing with any other "old" car that manages to consistently win Nationals in the Stock or Street Prepared categories, not just Porsches.

Sad, but true... Mazda offers sponsor money when people win races in Miatas... Porsche doesn't quite do the same when people win in 914's.

--Nick
Old 04-29-2003, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

I read the rules and have a hard copy in my shop.

Use flat top pistions and mill the heads the .010 they give you.
Balance and blueprint.
Do the headwork and flow the heads. This is where you will gain the most.
It did say all rotating massses were to be the original weight so the flywheel lightening is in question.
Get the best header you can.
Dyno the motor for optimal performance. Be prepared to change out ingnition and carbs in favor of better performing setups.
Spend the rest of your money on the LSD and gear the tranny to your favorite track. You can't afffor to loose any time on the track because your geraing is wrong with all the rest of the restrctions.

I don't know about 2002 SCCA runoffs, but in 2001 there were 3 914 starters in F prod. One DNF and a sixth place were the results. I didn't see where the third car came in. Not bad.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I was looking at the rules again and noted the wheels seem to be free? If so get the lightest you can find and use the most amount of offset even if you have to stretch the fenders as it says you can widen the body to cover the wheels. I did this with my 914 race car and picked up nearly 10 MPH cornering sspeed at Willow Springs in turn 1!
Old 04-29-2003, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Oh, and I didn't see about the cam but I think they want it stock which is not too good of a thing with carbs. Can you put a bolt on gear so you can degree the cam? Might pick up some additional higher rpm hp.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I don't think Raby can do much for you, frankly. The requirement for a stock cam (and stock compression ratio, or close to) really knocks out almost all of his work.

I would agree, for the most part, with John Rogers' list. Except I would suggest using one of the programmable EFI setups. An autoX car usually spends more time in the mid-range than at the redline, so the benefits of EFI on a plenum will outweigh the top-end possibilities of carbs. Mo-Tec if you can swing it.

Tangerine Racing header, with his muffler.

That's about all I can think of offhand. You'll have an unstreetable car (overheats in stop-and-go traffic, no alternator, etc.) that cost you a mint. (Have you priced a MoTec EFI system or a TR header?) But it will be "optimized" for FSP competition, at least as much as you can do that with a 912E.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-29-2003, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

If you wanted to get REALLY radical, try a dual master cylinder setup with one cylinder for the left and other for the right instead of front and rear. A "split" brake pedal that lets you use the left pedal for left brakes and right pedal for right brakes which would act like the off-road "cutting" brakes which are of course illegal. Whoa, it sure would turn then!!!!
Old 04-29-2003, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Maybe someone could hide a 4.0/6 inside a 2.0/4 case..

If cheating is an option, losing isn't.

M

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/uploads/blog-1136350347.jpg
Old 04-29-2003, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Check out the pics of the 2001 run offs...scroll down a bit for the f-prod cars.

http://www.the-welters.com/racing/runoffs2001/

5th place 2002:

http://www.scca.org/amateur/club_racing/runoffs/02results/photos/pages/fp3.htm

Last edited by Conrad W Peden; 04-29-2003 at 09:40 PM..
Old 04-29-2003, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Hey, that is some nice body work too.

I like that.

M

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/uploads/blog-1136350347.jpg
Old 04-30-2003, 12:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Conrad,

Thanks for the nice photos. The black F-production 914 has been racing for a long time. I used to watch it when the SCCA Runoffs were still at Road Atlanta until around 1993 or 94. The driver is named Kirby (maybe Bob?). The cooling air intake for the engine is interesting. The air enters through the two screened pop-up headlight openings. A welded aluminum y-shaped duct leads from the two openings, over the fuel cell in the front trunk floor, and merges into a round section duct that passes through the front bulkhead, firewall, cockpit, rear firewall, to the engine fan inlet. Pretty neat, but not too practical for a street car!

I made it to the Runoffs at Mid Ohio the first year it moved from Road Atlanta. I really like the circuit, but its a long ass haul for me. I miss the Runoffs so I keep saying I'll make it back one day. I think this was the last year of the Mid Ohio contract with SCCA. I wonder if the contract has been extended?

Mike
Old 04-30-2003, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
That's the "sewer pipe" cooling setup. The large duct looks like a pipe from the sewers--or at least, looks large enough for that! I believe it is just barely smaller than the OD of the fan, and the pipe ends about 1/4" in front of the fan.

The fan will be missing most or all of its blades. The engine tin will not seal to the edges of the compartment (easier access and weight reduction) because the cooling air does not come from the engine bay area, so it doesn't matter if hot air winds up in the engine bay. Often, there is a panel separating the carb intakes from the rest of the engine bay, just to make sure they get cool air.

Some really trick stuff goes into the Production-class racers!!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-30-2003, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

That is correct. The round duct was probably 6" diameter, appeared to be standard construction type metal duct, and it fit the engine cooling shroud opening with a collar of some flexible material. The engine was out when I saw it and to my surprise there were no fan blades on the fan, only the spacer webs that the pulley ring bolts to . That was a surprise to me as I had never seen that fan mod before. The engine sheet metal forming the engine compartment seal was also cut away.

When I saw that particular car it ran in E-production. It was almost always up against cars with more horsepower potential. It has since moved down to FP.

Mike
Old 04-30-2003, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Guys, I have 15x7 Fuchs on all four corners now. This size made the car feel the best. I had 16's last year and they bogged the car down.

I'd like to go to 14x8's but that means custom wheels and they are rather pricey. Hoosier makes an 225/50/14 A3S03 that would be a good choice but the wheels are just too pricey. Maybe next year I'll spring for that choice. It would be about 1200 for the wheels and 800 for a set of Hoosiers.

I wonder how much a set of Euro pistons and an optimized set of heads and intake manifolds would yield?
- 71 Jaguar XJ6 Series 1
- 17 Shelby GT350
Old 04-30-2003, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: