Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Axles

Hello all, I was just working on my car after I posted to the two messages below, and found someting rather disturbing. So now I would like the input of all the 914 lovers. Also please forgive my lack of terminology, I'm working on it.

Ok, here we go. There are 2 axles comming from the trans. On the side that goes through the brakes, on the end are threads for a screw. Well, after looking at these threads, and looking at the parts I have left, and thinking... The PO never had anything there. I cannot find the "nuts" that go on the end here on PP web site, so I'm asking this.
1) What are these nuts called?
2) Did the Porsche come with them, or is it some VW thing that Porsche didn't use?
3) What should I be looking for in terms of damage done to the car, if the Porsche did come with them, but was driven without?
4) If the Porsche came with them, what can I do now? My threads are all beaten up, it looks like I could get them tapped by a friend of mine, but I would need to know what size they are.

As you can see I'm using this board alot, and your all being so very helpful. So thank you all for your time and efforts, you are truly helping a car lover, and growing to be 914 lover.
Old 10-16-1999, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
If I understand you right, you are talking about the castled nuts that go on the end of the stub axles. The end of the stub axle should have a hole going through it so after the castle nut is tighted a cotter pin goes through to secure it. The reason the threads are so torn up (mushroomed probably) is that the stub axles can be a bear to remove. There is a small depression in the end of the axle for a drift or punch but for some reason people just bang the hell out of the stub axle with a hammer.

1. There MUST be a nut there. If you drive without it you can ruin the rear wheel bearings and/or lose a rear wheel.
2. The PO probably didn't drive without them, but might have cut them to get them off.
3. Re-thread if you can, or buy a "thread file", it is a special file that files different metric pitches on external threads ($5-$10).

If you mean the 4 bolts on the inside, toward the transaxle, then you need the C-V joint bolts.
Old 10-16-1999, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yes Im talking about the "the castled nuts that go on the end of the stub axles". Now where can I get the tools to rethread them at? Does anyone know what the thread size is? Thanks again
Old 10-16-1999, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: