Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

2nd gear crunch

In my '70 1.7 liter, second gear has a slight crunch, but only when cool. When motor and tranny heat up, there is no more crunch. First and second synchros and dog teeth have been replaced about 10,000 miles ago, along with the slider. Any ideas or suggestions???

[This message has been edited by mikey (edited 10-17-1999).]
Old 10-16-1999, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Try going to Swepco gear oil...
Old 10-18-1999, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

really?? You think it's just in the oil?? Would that also make it hard to get into first sometimes from a dead stop?? Cause I get that once in a while too. Pretty embarassing when you are sitting at a green light and you cant get your car in gear.
Old 10-18-1999, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to paulhagedorn
Getting the car into first when at a stop can be caused by a few things. The first thing that is sort of major work, would be the synchronizers. These can often fail...causing the first gear crunch...often called normal with the 914 transmission. Another thing that could cause this is a slight mis-alignment in the shift rod...but most likely isn't the case because it would probably happen in all gears. Another thing that is easily checked would be the clutch cable. It could be slightly loose...making it hard to get into first gear.

I had this problem when i got my car back from the shop. They didn't put on two nuts so the cable would stay tight and after a little bit...i could hardly shift because the clutch wasn't doing a thing.

Also, the gear oil could be a factor. Not exactly sure how much of a difference it would make, though. I do have 75w80 gear oil, though.

Paul
Old 10-18-1999, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

hey paul, thanks for the advise. however, the crunch is in second gear, and only when tranny is cool. tranny has new 1st and 2nd syncros and dogteeth.hmmmmmm..
Old 10-18-1999, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Mikey,

did you have your shifter forks checked or did you check them when you put in the synchros and dog teeth..

i know that these can wear out from leaving your hand on the shifter while driving...and once they go, they cause these problems also. i forgot about them...i have a friend that had to have them replaced after 36,000 miles because the previous owner had driven the car while leaving his hand on the gear shift....not a cheap thing on a 993 trans...

Paul
Old 10-18-1999, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

oooohhhhhh ****!!!! I drive with my hand on the shifter. I dont rest my weight on it, but I am sure it doesn't take much......I hope that is not it. I actually just bought the car, and all the tranny work was done allready. I have the receipt, but no fork work done. Thanks for the tip. I just hope I didn't screw the forks!!!!!!

Mike
Old 10-18-1999, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

you are right that it doesn't take much to do some damage. there is a lot of leverage with the shifter...i hope that that isn't your problem with the forks...have you tried moving the linkage just a little bit?
when you shift into second, do you have to hug the spring? but how is it shifting into third?

paul
Old 10-18-1999, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

it shifts into third quite easy.what do you mean exactly when you say hugging the spring?? If you mean finding second by using the spring load as a reference, then yes.....is that bad??? As far as first is concerned.....I have made the habbit of holding in the clutch and slipping it into first just before coming to a complete stop.
Old 10-18-1999, 10:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

By hugging the spring, I meant pushing against it a little more than just using it as a reference. The way you have it now is, i think, the correct way. You are probably fine with the linkage adjustment.

I guess my first suggestion now, would be for you to try to match engine speeds between gears when shifting from first to second when the engine is cool. Like, you expect engine speed to drop around 1000 rpm when changing gears...try to match what the engine speed would be for second gear.

If that doesn't make any difference, then change the transmission oil...something maybe synthetic that is like 70w80 or 75w80...
Tell us the results, and I hope it is as simple as changing the oil.
Paul
Old 10-19-1999, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Paul,
When I shift into first I have to pull against spring and essentially shift in a counterclockwise circle into first. Sometimes it seems to glide around whatever it gets caght up on. Other times I have to smash it into gear because I went to take off and "missed" so to speak. Only problem is first gear. Any thoughts?

Anybody's suggestion would be appreciated.

Joe

[This message has been edited by joehahn (edited 10-19-1999).]
Old 10-19-1999, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

As Brian said, this is very true...it can cause shifting problems if the tube has broken the welds...i believe there is a post floating around somewhere about rewelding the tube.
if your clutch tube has not been rewelded before, there is a good chance that there is something wrong with it...not fun to play with.
Paul

[This message has been edited by paulhagedorn (edited 10-19-1999).]
Old 10-19-1999, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
...what the **** is a clutch tube??? How do I adjust cable??? See! I knew I shouldn't have asked! Just makes me worried.
Old 10-19-1999, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

The clutch tube is a straight metal tube that starts at the firewall and runs inside the center tunnel to guide the clutch cable up to the pedal cluster.

It should be brazed to the chassis at two points. The outer firewall (at the bottom of your engine compartment) and at a point inside the center tunnel that you can't get to from here (you might be able to see it tho). If that front braze has broken loose, it could be drooping down and binding your clutch cable. Pull off your center tunnel inspection plates and see if you can wiggle it. The clutch tube will be the largest diameter tube in there (exept for the shift linkage itself). The other two tubes are for your heater control cables.

The clutch cable adjustment is back on the underside of tranny. Pelican has a tech article on this.

Good luck
Old 10-19-1999, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: