Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

relocation of battery

i want to move my battery cause of future rust and space in the motor compartment.I remember running into a page with pointers on this upgrade(if you want to consider it one)Cant find it now .Also i d love to hear anyone elses input also trile and error with doing this. It would be very helpful.Thnk you again!
mike
Old 10-19-1999, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
sorry, this isn't really addressing the relocation topic.. but related, and to top it off, it's another question..

previously we had a string on stereo and the strain it puts on the electrical system. I've got a thought i'd like to throw up in the air. How about adding another battery in parallel with the existing battery?.. is that additional strain?.. i know you'd gain capicity.. negative sides?.. where to place it? (kinda where it ties in)..

Jeff
Old 10-19-1999, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

i would run two batterys if i had a real reason to. Id just put two seprate gel cells in the trunk with there own batery boxes ,run a voltage reagulater . I know they make them to swap charges between batteries , maybe a rv store ect... try and find one that switchs over buy its self upon demand of each battery.Could run stock alt.
Could be wrong just adding my two cents.take it or leave it.
Old 10-19-1999, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well, do you want the 2 batteries to give ya 24V or 12V with extra life? If you want extra volts then connect the two positives to each other, and do the same for the negatives. If you want 12V with longer life, connect the pos of one to the neg of the other.
I guess what your looking for is a way to have more amps for the speakers... If I remember correctly, with wiring the batteries for the 12V set up, that also increases the amount of amps you can drain at any single given time. If this is what your trying to do, check to see what the current cranking amps on your battery are, I replaced the old one with a 855ca battery. You can get 1200ca batteries if ya want. The larger battery sould provide the "pool" of power you need to dip into when playing some loud music. IMHO
Old 10-19-1999, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Don't know about two batteries but I have relocated the one that I have to the rear trunk. It resides in a cut down battery box originally designed for a boat (they cost about $7 dollars at K-Mart). I located it in the upper right corner of the trunk and spot welded some angle iron to the trunk floor to keep it from wandering during tight turns. I also had to level it a bit to offset the slope of the trunk floor. I also drilled a small hole thru the trunk floor so the positive cable to the starter etc., could be
shortened. The ground cable attaches to the trunk/engine bulkhead. The installation looks relatively tidy, I have no concerns about acid leaks, and the cables are shorter. I also bought a slightly oversized battery box so I could leave a very small trickle charger hooked up and ready to plug in next to the battery. With the lid on the box I don't have any interference with the top when I put it in the trunk. Good luck.
Old 10-20-1999, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If you want power for amps, use the late style air pump pulleys and mounts modified for a really small, japanese alternater to run the stereo through a voltage regulator. The alternaters are cheap at your local "U-PULL-IT" salvage yards. Food 4 Thought.......
Old 10-25-1999, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: