Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Stiffening kit for chassis

Any one have words of advice on a chassis stiffening kit?
My 72 914 is starting to tear inside the drivers wheel well, kind of lined up with the shock tower. It is a crack from stress, not rust. it is about four inches long.
i plan to buy a kit, has anyone ever done do it your self installation?
how is it best done?, Any hints? i have a MIG welder, and am a moderate experience with auto sheet metal welding.
Or should i have a shop do it. I am in the SF Bay area.

Thanks dave
Old 10-25-1999, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Ive never seen a kit for the front. I have also never heard of cracks up there either. But anyways, take a look at the rear end kit or the trailing arm boxers and you'll notice that they are full of holes about two inches apart. These are so that the sheetmetal is attached over the entire area and not just around the edge. When you do yours this is the proper way.

Good Luck

------------------
CWP/VIR
Old 10-25-1999, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Conrad: thanks for the info, I wasn't too clear in my original email, I should have stated the crack is in the REAR drivers wheel well.
Dave
Old 10-25-1999, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Dave, I know where you're coming from. My 75 2.0 has a cancer. Fortunately, I caught it in time and are now treating him with skin graphs. New skin from POR-15 looks to be a good choice. Remember, do it right or don't do it yourself!!!
Old 10-25-1999, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

One other thing you may want to do to stop the crack from expanding before you do anything else is to drill a hole at each end of the crack. Buck
Old 10-26-1999, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The stiffening kit is pretty straight forward except the instructions do not assume amatuer status of the installer. First make a stiff cardboard copy of the pieces. They come in flat sheet metal with holes for spotting in place. They do NOT go on flat. Rather they turn corners and have to be shaped to the chassis. The toughest piece goes up/over/down/around the wheel housing and has to be shaped before starting. Also this piece is very difficult to install without a rotisserie or tilting device to get to the more difficult angles. Mine was installed by a "first timer" who took his time and got it right. I watched, carried refreshments, and made discreet suggestions during the difficult parts of the process. Allow at least one day.
Old 10-26-1999, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Dave, did you do the stiffening kit yet ?
I'm thinking about adding one myself. I'm not too keen on removeing the rear trailing arms but since I have the car jacked up and the rear axles and shocks removed it might be a good time. I'd like to take a look at the kit if you purchased it already. I'm in the S.F. area also (Antioch)

Mike
Old 10-26-1999, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: