Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engines

Hello all, I was looking for some misc input. I have read some of the prev articals and information regarding what engines are good 6 conversions. I was wondering what kinda work do you think would need to be done to get a 1973 2.0L stock engine up to 200h.p. And how much do you think it should cost? I mention stock because I would like the input of how you would do it, or what you think would be best. I already have a nonstock engine, but I am either going to go to a 6, or build my 2.0 to 200hp. Any thoughts?
Old 10-22-1999, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Mark Stephans has a 2.8L T-4 kit for about $3000 I think, plus 2.0L core. I don't think that includes assembly either. With that motor you would need a top notch oil cooler, $300. I'd think a 911 type fan would be needed ($500-$700??? don't know). Either dual 44's maybe even 48's or a Haltech aftermarket FI, $1000-$1800. The trans and the rest of the drive drive would have to be in tip-top shape, also at least get 320i brakes but a 911 setup would be better. I doubt the motor would last more than 30,000-50,000 miles if you're lucky on the street. If you race, who knows.

Call MSHP and Fats performance, they're the only one's I know of who make insane T-4's like you want.
Old 10-22-1999, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
http://home1.gte.net/nugentmd/914lite.htm
Old 10-22-1999, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Speed costs money. How fast can you afford to go?

You can get 200 HP out of 2055 cc, if you want to spend the money. Follow this link for a description of such a motor: http://www.dgi.net/914/feat/newlin.html

Then again, you might not want to live with the constraints of a race car. (Race gas, no heat, short life, high-revs-only, etc.)

You can also go for drastic displacement increases. You don't have to spin the motor as fast to get 200 HP at that point, but longevity is still a real problem.

You can go somewhere in between. High compression (like 8.5:1 or 9:1) and a big motor would get you somewhere near. But you've got to be able to feed it (induction), get the gases out (exhaust), and keep it cool. The induction is probably the best-known part. Weber 48s most likely. Or aftermarket EFI. Exhaust might need to be custom, or perhaps the Pete Weber or Kerry Hunter headers would work. Cooling would probably need the 911 fan. For cabin heat, some custom heater boxes wrapped around the headers, or other options that produce less heat or take longer...

All it takes is time and money, plus some idea of what you actually want.

--DD
Old 10-27-1999, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: