Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Tires and Alignment

Just finished bleeding the brakes...the beast is back together with new tie rods and front brake system and new master cylinder.. Now is the time for new tires. It's probably like asking what tooth paste to use, but what should I buy for my daily driver. I am thinking 195/60 or 195/65 or 205/60. I saw the Pirelli P6000 and Yokahoma A008P on the "TireRack" web site. They seemed good, but I don't know too much.

Any suggestions on a good tire/alignment shop in the Pasadena-Glendale area here in CA?

Finally, I may have to do a rough realignment myself after the new tie rods, just to drive out of the garage and feel safe on the road. Any suggestions there before I screw something up?

Thank, - Dave
Old 10-21-1999, 11:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have the Pirelli P6000 that you mentioned on my 914 and have been very satisfied with the wear and performance.
Old 10-22-1999, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to macman
I am very satasfied with my Yokiehama's on the front but not so impressed with the defenders on back. they are 195/25/60's and they kick ass for traction.(not that it all depends on the tire)
my 2 cents

------------------
Michael Scheid
(206) 232-9854
Old 10-23-1999, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I may get shot for saying this, but was wrong with Goodyears? I don't know the cost of the other tires mentioned, but I can tell ya this. Any middle of the line tire you buy now will way outperform the tires the car was designed with. If its a daily driver, I would worry mostly about good traction in rain and dry conditions. However, if your me driving only on nice days I got Goodyear GT+4's. I've always been happy with them on all my performance cars.
Old 10-23-1999, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Corner of Hawtorne Blvd and 190th in Torrance CA. Johnson Alignment, ask for Steve Alarcon, he is a PCA/SCCA racer that knows how to corner balnce and set up a car...
Old 10-23-1999, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the comments guys... I am down to the Pirelli P6000 HR which is available for $80 a piece for the 195/65 and $78 per tire for 195/60.

By my calculations, the 195/65 is almost exactly the same height as the stock tires which I currently have and the 195/60 is 3.7% smaller. The 60's would lower the ride height by 0.38 inches and of course change the gearing to the road... and maybe offer a little more sidewall stiffness?? any comments on these or other trade-offs?

Never ordered tires mail-order... Has anybody else had any problems with this?

Thanks guys.

- Dave
Old 10-24-1999, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Dave
Sidewall stiffness in this tire isnt as important as you might think. When you get into the Yoko 008R's or BFG R1's then it starts to make a diff. If you are worrid about the gearing and tire diameter get the 205/60/15

------------------
CWP/VIR
Old 10-24-1999, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks Conrad -

If there was some way I could be sure that the 205's would fit before I get them, then I would go with the 205's. I know that other's have used them on the stock Fuchs... maybe I could order through a local tire place that would let me "try them on for size" before I have to buy them.... but I am a little hesitant about mail-ordering the larger size... or if I knew someone in the area that had 205's I could drive over and try theirs on for size.

Anybody out there in So Cal, LA area that wants to let me try on their shoes

- Dave
Old 10-24-1999, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The 205x50s will work on the Fuchs. Book says so and I have them. (Michelin) When they are installed the shop should check clearance at the rear fender well before releasing the car. If no fit they should take them off. I have about .25" clearance. Racing 205x50s mounted on steel rims rub a bit on the inside fender well but I have added some thickness with a stiffening kit. A friend has 205x50 racing tires mounted on Pedrini alloys I traded to him and they look great. But, Book says the limit for Pedrini and Mahle is 195s.
Old 10-26-1999, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Back in the days before the Internet I ordered from Tire Rack and was quite satisfied. They came promptly with no damage and NOBODY could beat the price. I haven't ordered in a few years, but I can't imagine things have changed that much.

Mark
Old 10-27-1999, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thanks all...

I just ordered 195/60HR15 Pirelli P6000 tires from the tirerack.com... $77 each + $28 for 2-day shipping... a pretty good deal.

I could not convince myself that the 205's would fit.. (I chickened out)... but the 195/60's will automatically lower the ride height by 1/2 an inch and with the lower profile maybe allow a tad more lowering later if I desire... and based on my research, there is a lot to be said for having a lower CG for improved handling.

Thanks Mikez for the lead on the 914 savvy alignment shop. They are close enough that I will give Steve Alarcon a call.

- Dave
Old 10-27-1999, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: