Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Warm up time?

I have a '74 914 2.0L. Let's say the air temp. is about 50 degrees. Let's also say that the engine is stock and all pieces of engine tin and thermostat are present and working. How long does it take for y 'alls' engines to get to normal operating temp? Mine seems to take a long time (about 10-12 mins. worth of city driving). Just curious.

I reinstalled my heating system for the upcoming cold weather this past weekend. As I was laying under the car, a thought crossed my mind: "What was Dr. Porsche thinking?"

Thanks again PP for this website!

Old 10-27-1999, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'm not sure what you mean by "normal temp"? If it is hot enough to get plenty of heat for the heater/defroster, then it should not take long at all. Our stock 74 2.0l puts out hot air with in 3 to 4 blocks of driving. I would make sure you are feeding both sides and that there is good solid connections in all the tubes and ducts. I tested ours with a biiig shop vac set to blow into the duct at the hot air fan connection and found lots of cracks and tears in all the flexible lines, but you couldn't readily see them. I replace them yearly to prevent this from happening again.

[This message has been edited by john rogers (edited 10-27-1999).]
Old 10-27-1999, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
I agree with Brian. With all the hoses in good working order, What my 1.7 lacked in HP It made up in comfort level with the heating system. As I recall, The first time I drove my car I remember being relived.
Old 10-28-1999, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Guys, thanks for your input. I only wanted to know how long it takes for your engines to reach normal operating temp. I gather that 10-12 min. is not an unusual length of time. I aplologize for offending y'all with my comment questioning the layout of the heating ducts. For this I am truly sorry. Dr. Porsche has cursed me for this comment. I suddenly have a slight "miss" now.

Thanks,

PRITCHARD
Old 10-29-1999, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: