Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

blower impeller hub

im replacing the seals and can not get the blower impeller hub off. any helpful hints.
thanks
Old 10-29-1999, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Are you talking about the cooling fan on the end of the crank or the blower on top of the motor for the the heat.
If it is the fan on the end of the crank it is on a taper with a woodruff key. You will have to get a pulley puller or harmonic balancer puller to yank it off.

As for the blower on top of the motor for the heat Ive never had heat so I cant help you with that one.

You say seal"s" I am putting my 2.0 together right now and the book says two seals at the fan end of the crank. There is the seal that fits into the case and an o-ring . But where does the o-ring go? I dont see an o-ring groove.

[This message has been edited by Conrad W Peden (edited 10-29-1999).]
Old 10-29-1999, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

tronzvox, if you post your full and complete email address (I tried tronzvox@aol.com and couldn't get this address to work) I will email you a photo of the hub puller.

Conrad, what book do you have that says there are two seals at the fan end? I replaced the seal by the fan hub on my 2.0 about one year ago and there was only that one seal. On the flywheel end however, there is the crankshaft oil seal and an o-ring that fits inside a grroove in the flywheel itself.

Hope this helps,
Alpine
Old 10-29-1999, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I just recently did this job myself. I found it most convenient to loosen the nut (bolt?) holding the hub onto the crank before removing the fan and spacer.

To pull the hub off the crank, I used three pieces of pretty thick sheetmetal (1/16"?), one behind each of the fan mounting bolts. They have to be nice and wide to spread the forces out, too. Then I threaded those three fan bolts in until they held the sheetmetal. Then 1/4 turn at a time on each one, until the hub popped off. I dropped the Woodruff key, but found it easily.

I pulled the old seal out with a small screwdriver and a dental pick. (Careful not to scratch any of the mating surfaces!!!) Clean up the mating surfaces as well as you can, lube the seal with oil, press or tap it in. I went very carefully and slowly with a copper mallet; a seal driver is preferred.

The O-ring in question goes on the hub itself I believe. Lube with oil and install.

Installation of the hub with the Woodruff key can be annoyingly finicky--getting everything lined up right can take a while.

The whole job is not too bad with the engine out of the car, it would be a REAL PAIN with the engine in the car.

--DD
Old 10-29-1999, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I just found the o-ring that fits around the impeller hub (#14 in Fig 1.19 on page 26 of the Haynes manual) . Unfortunately, I forgot to install a new one of these when I replaced the crankshaft oil seal at the fan end but my motor is out of the car so I can still easily replace it. I couldn't find this o-ring on Pelican's online catalog or in the other Porsche retailers' catalogs. Dave, where did you buy your o-ring from - Pelican I'm assuming?

Alpine
Old 10-30-1999, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Yup, I did.

--DD
Old 10-30-1999, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: