Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914-914-6-technical-forum/)
-   -   928 conversion:-(fantasy) (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914-914-6-technical-forum/1136-928-conversion-fantasy.html)

rich 10-31-1999 05:04 PM

928 conversion:-(fantasy)

Well, I repoed my 944 and finally had time to get some measurements from the engine and trans axle. As most of you know the 944 uses the right side head from the 928. So I felt it would provide the basics. The last discussion thread had to do with attempting to mate a 928 engine to our beloved 914 trans axles, or maybe shorten the drive shaft and mate the 928 engine directly the 928 transaxle. I took some basic measurement off my 944. So here goes.
The right side measures from the spark plug wires on the horizontally positioned distributor (sticks out of the front of the head)to the appox. bellhousing mating surface of the block 29 1/2"
add the bell 5"
Starter (I'll tell you about that later)
Transaxle has a conical shaped end that the drive shaft tube connects to. 5 1/2"
this conical end would aid in starter clearance. The starter extends 5" out from the bellhousing. From the conical bolt flang to the center line of the axles add 8"
Rear of the axle center line the tail of the transaxle add 17"
Total lenth from the spark plug wires to axle center 50" minimum!!! Although the 944/928 transaxle is cool the measurements eliminate it's use. (in a 914 anyway)
Which brings us back to the the discussion of an adapter for the 914 trans axle.

914 bellhousing to axle center line Appox 9"
sparkplug wires to axle center 38 1/2" Minimum. Still very long!! But by cutting out the fire wall, rear trunk, and moving the assm. back this could work, Barely!! What do you all think?

7391417 10-31-1999 07:49 PM

My personal opinions are that you put what ever kind of engine you want in your 914, I personally think that acceptable swaps exluding big fours (cause that is not really a swap, just drop in for the most part)would be a six of course, but I also find the 928 v8 acceptable as it is a true Porsche engine. I think that putting the 928 V8 in the 914 would not be to hard with the 901 tranny as it seems like you could cleanly clearance the firewall in front if you did it properly and that creating a solid tranny mounting structure further back would not be to difficult considering the accessability in the rear trunk. One thing that would be a must would be that the 901 tranny was in tip top shape to handle the power, which it is capable of as long as it is not abused. I might consider adding a tranny fluid cooler which also would not be very difficult and would be worth the cost for the longevity of the tranny, since heat is its main weakness. Chassis stiffining kits would be a must too.
One more thing here, I have driven one 928, it was an '86 which I belive has 288 hp. It moved that 4000 lbs. car to 60 from 0 in about 6.5 sec so I can only imagine how fast a probably 2300 lbs. 914 would be (5 sec. or less?). Any ways, any body care to compare the final costs of a basic 6 convert to the final cost of a basic 928 V8 convert. Sorry to ramble but those are my thoughts.