Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Intake system leaks

I need to do some maintenance on my 2.0 intake system to eliminate leaks which are causing the fuel mixture to lean and the engine to overheat. How difficult is it to replace the short hoses under the throttle body and the gaskets at the intake manifolds below the fuel injectors?
Old 10-19-1999, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Not very. It is a bit tedious, though.

I start by disconnecting the battery. Not strictly necessary, but it makes me feel better since I'll be messing (indirectly) with the fuel system.

Then I remove the MPS and the Decel Valve. They are pretty seriously in the way when you're trying to do the right-hand side of the motor.

Next come the fuel injectors. One 10mm nut holds each injector retainer on. Remove those and their washers (a magnet will help get the washers off without losing them), unplug the electrical connection on the injectors, then wiggle them out of the manifold. Remove both injectors, then lay them and the fuel rail up (mostly) out of the way--but I leave the hoses all connected.

Remove three 13mm nuts (four on 1.7s and 1.8s) that hold the manifold onto the head. The two outer ones are relatively easy, but the inner one requires a small-ish (1/5" or 3") extension. If you have hose clamps on the "manifold boots" (the big vacc hoses), loosen them. Then grab the pipes and wiggle-wiggle-wiggle. You should be able to pull them out and up, and remove them.

Then replace the "phenolic block" (between the manifolds and the heads) and "boots". I have found that a THIN coating of RTV on the gaskets gives me more confidence about the seals on both sides of that block.

Re-assemble. It can be tough to get the middle 13mm nut back on, but it is doable. Keep the magnet handy, since you'll usually drop the nut a few times before you get it started decently.

Don't over-torque the nuts. I cannot find a spec for them, so I just use "1/2 grunt". Less than 20 ft-lbs for the 13s, more like 10 ft-lbs for the 10s.

Then put back the rest of the stuff, MPS, Decel Valve, battery ground, etc.

--DD
Old 10-19-1999, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the great tech info, Dave. The job doesn't sound too difficult if seasoned with a heaping measure of patience. Are you sure about a "third" nut holding the manifold to the head on a 2.0? I just poked my head into the engine compartment and could only see the two outside ones.
Old 10-21-1999, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
there's definitely a 3rd one underneith.. right in the center between the two tubes. virtually impossible to see.. and almost as hard to reach.. i think i used a deep walled 13mm to reach mine.. it was a pain trying to get the universal in there since it kept flopping around.. but then.. squeezing the 13 in there was a pain in the butt too..

good luck,

Jeff
Old 10-21-1999, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
OK, I got everything removed today. Actually, it went very well. I will replace the four short hoses connecting the intake tubes to the base of the throttle body, the phenolic gaskets at the heads, and the four injector seals. I also plan to replace the flexible fuel lines as a hedge against an engine fire. Anything else I should consider while I got things apart??
Old 10-31-1999, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: