Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
!@#$% -- I stripped out a stud

While reinstalling the air intake tube/fuel injector assembly on the left side of my 2.0, I overtightened one of the 13mm nuts and stripped the stud out of the head. What is the best way to repair it? The stud itself is undamaged and reusable. Also, a wire pulled out of one of the fuel injector connectors. Can it be repaired or do I need to find a replacement? Thanks for the help!
Old 11-03-1999, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The proper way to fix it would be a heli-coil and a new stud.

The lesson here: don't overtighten these nuts. For the most part, the torque on ALL of the nuts that clamp something to aluminum is a lot less than you think. (Something like 15 ft-lbs on the 13mm ones; more like 8 on the 10mm ones...)

For the FI connector, it depends on exactly what came loose or came out of what. (I will assume you meant one of the connectors for an injector--the other stuff is similar in nature.) There is a metal "pin" (AKA female spade connector) that slides into the "plug" (AKA the plastic housing) and is retained by a barb on the pin. If the pin came out of the plug, all you have to do is push it back in again. If all you have is bare wire, you'll have to crimp a new pin onto the wire, pull the old pin out of the plug, and push the new one in.

The barb is released by poking a tool (a thin length of very stiff metal; a ground-down electronics "pot tweaker" works well) into a channel on the end of the plug away from the wires. Then you pull the pin out the other side.

Beck-Arnley (national parts distributor) carries the pins and the plugs. They call them something else, though. (See a post of mine in the "Question" section of the 914 Club's Forum: http://www.dgi.net/914 . B-A sells them in bags of 25 pins and bags of 5 plugs. I have some if you need them; e-mail me directly if you discover you need 'em.

--DD
Old 11-03-1999, 11:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the tech tips, Dave. I was able to replace the small female connectors in the injector plug per your directions. And as luck would have it, the original stud was not all the way seated and thus stripped out only a small section of threads in the head. I was able to get a new, slightly longer stud and screw it into the remaining threads (yes, there is a God!). Tonight everything is back together and working great!
Old 11-04-1999, 10:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the tech tips, Dave. I was able to replace the small female connectors in the injector plug per your directions. And as luck would have it, the original stud was not all the way seated and thus stripped out only a small section of threads in the head. I was able to get a new, slightly longer stud and screw it into the remaining threads (yes, there is a God!). Tonight everything is back together and working great!
Old 11-04-1999, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: