Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

sticking? valves??

Hey all,

Well after ~2000mi my freshly rebuilt '73 2L has developed something new. . . I could use advise here.

The valves are making a very loud pinging noise. So I poped the covers and when the valves are released they "ping" back. This is to say that the lobe pushes the lifter and compresses the valve. All's cool. But when the cam backs off the lifter the valve "pops" back. Right now I don't know if it's the lifters or the rockers or the valves guides or what. But the passengers bank are very noticeable.

Anyone have this happen?? Anyone know what could make this happen?

BACKGROUND: The rebuild encompised a new cam from Web-Cam. It was the stock FI cam, also new lifters. However when I was installing it I read teh Web-Cam note saying to only use their lifters. This seemed a silly thing to me and I couldn't find a reason for this so I used new stock lifters. New guides and valves all the way around. All new bearings, high volume oil pump. New euro P&C's. I read every book I could find and did a slow, and I thought, exact job on it all.

Thanks Ian
Old 11-08-1999, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
If you used a high lift and duration cam maybe the valves have touched the piston because of the use of stock lifters.

Try a compression test.

------------------
CWP/VIR
Old 11-08-1999, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Both our 914s have Web cams and both use their lifters, push rods, etc. The mechanic that built both engines said Web recommended using their stuff and he said he had followed their recommendations and never had any cam related troubles. When I build up a spare 2.8 liter four this winter I will probably follow that same advice. I agree with the compression test, but I would plan on changing the lifters asap. Good luck.
Old 11-08-1999, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: