Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
solid tranny mount

I asked this a bit ago on rennlist, but the list seems to be down for now, so, here it is on pelican:

anyone with positive information on how to remove/replace the tranny mounts? from first inspection, it looks like i'd have to drop the back of the tranny far enough to clear the bolts holding it on (about 4-5 inches?) and an additional 1" to clear the existing rubber mount.. that's a total of 6+ inches pivoting on the front engine mount?.. will it start bending sheetmetal and/or other parts? do i have to drop the engine just to swap the mount? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
Old 11-07-1999, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Nothing to worry about here. I've done this in my garage with nothing more than jacking the car up (placing jack stands under the frame), jacking the transmission to relieve stress, and in a step process, unscrewing the mounts, dropping the transmission until the bolts clear, installing the new mounts, and reverse. NO ill effects. Good luck.
Old 11-08-1999, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

From the Pelican Tech Article, "914 Shifting Improvements"....

"The process of replacing them is relatively easy. Just jack up the car, support the transmission,detach the bolts that hold the tranny to the car, lower the engine assembly slightly, and then remove the mounts. "... Reverse for installation.

I followed this procedure exactly and put in the 911 motor mounts from Pelican as a replacement for the stock tranny mounts... it was the first thing I did after I picked up my 914 6 months ago... worked perfectly....Then I changed the motor mounts that were sheared all the way through!... The shift lever moves around quite a bit when the motor mounts are sheared through... thats because the whole engine and tranny move around when you accelerate... not fun!

- Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave Bell (edited 11-08-1999).]
Old 11-08-1999, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I did this last summer, it was really easy.
Do all the above instructions. The mounts will want to go in at an angle but if you bolt them up evenly, there shouldn't be any problems. "Sport" tranny mounts and "Solids" are different, installation should be the same. I haven't had any problems yet and did notice an improvement in shifting.
Remember to torque both the long bolt and the two bolts of each mount. I forgot how much i torqued them, check your Haynes manual.
Old 11-08-1999, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: