Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

12 point star bolt on CV joints

Does anyone know the size of the Star bolts
that hold the CV joints in place. I need to
purchase the tool to remove these and I am
not sure of the size. 8mm 10mm ......
Old 11-10-1999, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
Pelican has it listed as 8mm.. if you have trouble finding one locally, give Tom a call.
Old 11-10-1999, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
And when you do get the right tool, don't forget to give it a good tap before you start cranking on it....stripping those theings are easy to do. Remove them with a vise grip is not....also don't forget the CV gaskets.
Old 11-10-1999, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

And before you give them a tap, stick the little tube from a can of WD40 in the hole and blast all the grease and dirt out.
Old 11-10-1999, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Are those the bolt refered to as cheese heads?
Old 11-10-1999, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Nope, "triple-square". They're in the shape of three squares overlaid on each other. The outside corners are all 90 degrees, where with a 12-point Allen wrench they are all 60 degrees.

The "cheese-head" refers to the profile of the head. It's a square profile, just like a round of cheese. Compare to "lens-head" or the countersunk one whose name escapes me.

Hmm, I guess it could be considered a "cheese head screw" after all! But that's not specific enough to name it, and the tool people will look at you real funny if you ask for a socket for one of those.

VW Bug people call the same tool a "CV Joint socket". Bug shops are great sources for some of the specialized tools. Like the transmission plug socket. Same one is used on a Bug.

--DD
Old 11-10-1999, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

When I went to remove mine the first time I made the bad mistake of thinking the were alan heads. Stipped them off. So Vicegrips it was. What I did do is go to the hardware store and replace them with socket headed cap screws. Now my Porsche doesn't use the "special" tool.
Old 11-11-1999, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: