Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Mystery Sound... Help!

Well after all the brake replacement, tie-rods, new tires... I still have an annoying sound/problem that I need to track down.

When I am cornering only reasonably hard, left turn only, I get a sound like something is dragging... metal to metal? cha...cha...cha...cha on/off with the speed of the car. I can feel around the wheels and tires can't find anything that shoud be rubbing. I set and then reset the venting clearance on the back brakes... still get the sound. Sounds like it is coming from the back but I need a partner in a parking lot to nail down the rough location... Could it be a rear wheel bearing?

Someone please help me with this mystery.

- Dave
Old 11-13-1999, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
If it is clunk, clunk, clunk it CV joints....
Old 11-13-1999, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Also check the backing plates. You could have a bent spot. Easy to do during brake work. Just a thought.
Old 11-13-1999, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Did you change the format of your tires?

It is not uncommon for tires to rub on the A/C hose in the right wheel well or on the wheel well itself when you change to wider tires and lower the car. If you have A/C,
be sure to put something like a piece of heater hose over the A/C hose in the wheel well to take the rubbing instead of the A/C hose itself.

Ask me how I know...

Pete
Old 11-14-1999, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys... Rich got it.. It was the backing plate on the right rear. When I got if off I found the spot that was rubbing disc to plate, made some bends to fix it, got it back on... adjusted the venting clearance one more time..

Sound is gone!

- Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave Bell (edited 11-14-1999).]
Old 11-14-1999, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: