Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Gas Pedal

My gas pedal does not have much travel. On my old 1.8 it used to go almost to the floor. The new 2.0 only goes a quarter of that and is hard to control. The linkage on the throttle body is a single piece and it only rotates about 45 degrees before hitting the tin.

It looks like this----------------- http://client.bridgedesign.com/personal/andrew/throttle_body2.jpg

Should it look like this----------- http://client.bridgedesign.com/personal/andrew/throttle_body.jpg

How can I get more travel in the pedal?
Old 11-18-1999, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There is a stop behind the gas pedal. On both our 914s it is nylon bolt and lock nut. Make sure it is coming through the carpet or you will loose pedal travel. It lets you stand on the gas and not put the stress on the throttle cable. Should be adjusted so that the butterfly is exactly full open, no more or less or you'll loose power. Also the cable should be just slightly loose with the throttle closed. On our 2.0 stocker, it looks like your first drawing with the cable coming from the right side of the throttle body at an angle. At closed throttle the upper part of the lever hits the stop on the body and nothing hits at full open. I am trying to remember if there is a spacer, between the throttle body and intake plenum, I'll have to check later and let you know or JP or Dave might know off hand?

[This message has been edited by john rogers (edited 11-18-1999).]
Old 11-18-1999, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I must have a spacer missing that raises the throttle body because the arm definitely hits when I open it. Or my throttle arm is too long.

The cable is slightly slack in the closed position and the arm rests fine on the stop in the throttle body. the Butterfly is closed.

On opening the butterfly is no where near 90 degrees to the air intake pipe when the arm hits the tin. And I don't think the Nylon screw behind the pedal is long enough to reach the gas pedal in the position it currently stops.

Andy

I'll taks some digital pics tonight.
Old 11-18-1999, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I just went and checked and yes there is a spacer between the throttle body and the plenum. It is metal, about 3/4 of an inch thick or so and it actually is wider than the base of the throttle body and the seating surface on the plenum? The gasket surfaces reduce in to the correct size. Might be for smoothing out pulses or something, maybe Dave knows? I guess you could make one if yours is missing or PP doesn't have one? Good luck.
Old 11-18-1999, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Both of the throttle levers pictured are stock. The first one is found on early 73s, while the second one is on mid-73s and all later 2.0s. I have seen only one of the early-73 style myself, but I haven't seen all that many 914s.

The later style has a "supplemental return spring", which is the coil spring that is wrapped around the throttle butterfly shaft. If the main spring brakes, the supplemental spring will still close the throttle valve, keeping the engine from revving up to the limiter (or destruction if no limiter is present).

The only spacer that I know about seems to be part of the plenum (or intake air distributor or manifold, whatever). There is a gasket that fits between the throttle body and the plenum, but is isn't that thick. It's one of those "green cardboard" ones, and may be 1/16" thick if that.

I did not take that careful a look at the early 73 2.0 with the solid throttle lever, though, so I may have missed something. The factory parts book is not very good on this specific bit. It doesn't list antyhing specifically for the application that I can see, but it doesn't really show the 2.0 style manifold either.

Not sure what to say on the throttle body. You may be able to modify the throttle lever so that it clears? Or perhaps add a homemade spacer? I don't really know.

--DD
Old 11-18-1999, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I have a 73 2.0L and the throttle body looks like the drawing you submitted. there is a 1/16 gasket between it and the air distributor but the throttlebody sits on a flange about 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch above the air thingy.

There is only the one return spring, nothing on the shaft.

Try a wrecker to see if you can get a look at or purchase the air thingy that will work.

thingy = that which the throttlebody bolts to.
Old 11-19-1999, 01:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Andy, if you remove the cable and return spring does the lever move the full distance? If not then prob in throatle body. However I expect there to be a cable problem. My 2.0L cable was hanging on something and doing the same th
Old 11-19-1999, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ok. It looks like I have the early 73' throttle. It is definitely not the cable jamming because it does the same when no cable or spring are fitted.

I'll take a trip over to Parts H***** this afternoon. (sorry Wayne and Tom). That way I can rummage around and if not buy one look to see how to make one. I'm pretty sure I just need a spacer. The 3/4 inch one that John described sounds right.

http://client.bridgedesign.com/personal/andrew/throt1.jpg

http://client.bridgedesign.com/personal/andrew/throt2.jpg

http://client.bridgedesign.com/personal/andrew/throt3.jpg
Old 11-19-1999, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I'm still confused. I went down to Parts Heaven but all they had was throttle bodies with the two piece arm and return spring. They did not know about any other type. The early one must be quite rare. They were asking $75 for a complete throtle.

Andy

Old 11-19-1999, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, I'm stting here with the whole air distributor/throttle body assembly in my hand. I'm currently rebuilding my '73 2.0L.

Thingy = that which the throttle body bolts to

Judging by your photos I am sure that you have got a mixture of old and new style components. My throttle body is the same as yours but the air thingy it bolts to is different. If you measure from the flange that the throttle body bolts to down to the surface of the air thingy at the point just below the butterfly shaft it should be 1/2 inch. Looking at your pictures I say that this dimension is not right.

The measurment I made was: if you look at your pics, just below the cable there is a tube in the thingy. If you measure from that surface to the mating surface it is 1/2 inch.

Other than this difference the assembly appears to be the same.

[This message has been edited by Conrad W Peden (edited 11-19-1999).]
Old 11-19-1999, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry, that dimension I gave you should be more like 5/8".

------------------
CWP/VIR
Old 11-20-1999, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Yes. I'm at home now and had a chance to measure the "Plenum"

Plenum = Thingy = that which the throttle body bolts to

The ofset is only about 1/4 of an inch. It must be a newer version that is not compatable with the older version of the throttle boddy.

I will have to machiene a spacer out of some 1/4 inch aluminium so that the arm misses.

Thanks Conrad and everyone.
Old 11-20-1999, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I'll make sure it adds up to 5/8

1/4+1/4=5/8
Old 11-20-1999, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
If you don't happen to have a full shop, maybe use a hole saw, some asorted drill bits and a metal cutting band saw. Could even get away without the band saw if the bar stock isn't any wider than the TB.
Old 11-20-1999, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: