Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
All Porsche 914-8 reality

Well The ball is rolling. The money is in the bank, I've located the motor and scheduled the belt service. I have alot of mechanical skill and always do my own repairs. But considering the risk associated in a belt failure i'll tip my hat and bow to the experts on this one. I have a friend that owns a import repair shop. He used to service 928'S at a porsche dealership. He advised me of a few things to look for. He told me that when the water pump impeller shears off it takes out the housing,the engine block and all the valves! He told me that the water pump should always be removed and checked when servicing the belt. Anyone considering this swap should include this maintainance in their budget. My cost will be minimum for this service as I have a friend willing to help with the project. I'll be picking up the motor no later than next saturday and dropping it off for the belt service before I even bring it home.
During the next week i'll be researching the fuel system and wiring harness. I would like to enlist all of you to help me find the best sources for tecnical info on the fuel system. (fuel line diagram,fuel pump pressure, can I use my 914 fuel injection fuel pump?)I also need a excellent wiring diagram. If anyone knows of a good resource, text,manual,web site,ect. post it here. There are a lot of 928 web sites. It's hard and time consuming to try to search them all yourself. The ones i've checked out so far are tecnically weak. Glossy photos and pretty stories but no meat. I havn't even seen any engine photos! With your help I'm about to build the porsche the factory should have.
MHO
Old 11-12-1999, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Have you tried.... http://www.rennlist.org/

click on "enter a list" and join the 914 and 928 lists...

Try floating a request out on that list for 928 owners only. Have you got the adapter plate and flywheel yet?

[This message has been edited by mikez (edited 11-12-1999).]
Old 11-12-1999, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I just signed on to the renlist 928 and 914 page. I havn't posted a message yet, Just got my confirmation number back by e-mail. I'll start working on the patterns for the transaxle side of the adaptor tommorrow night. I have a spare 1.7 and an emty 2.0l bus case and tail shift transaxle I can use. The flywheel and engine side of the bolt pattern will have to wait until I get the engine home from the belt service.
Old 11-12-1999, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I just remembered a part of an e-mail conversation for a while ago. There is a 914 out there running around with a 928 engine. (A couple, it seems, at least.) In one case, the car was cut and lengthened somwhere between the firewall and the rear axle line.

I heard that this was done in order to fit the 928 transaxle--it and the engine were too long otherwise.

Nope, no more info than that. If I can remember any more specific references, I'll post them here.

--DD
Old 11-12-1999, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Leave up to you Porsche guys to steal 'my' idea and run with it.
No I wont help you rich I want to be the first one on this list to have a 918. No one help rich!.

As for using the fuel pump on the 8 I dont think it is a good idea because I dont think the stock one flows enough cfm to feed a V-8. I have no scientific evidence to back up my claim.

Steve M
Old 11-15-1999, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

This may be a silly question, but I beleive I have heard of poeple putting 8 cly Chevys in these things... Wouldn't that be the "first 918 on this list"? Wouldn't putting the Porsche 8 in be the same, or I should say very close to the same, as that? The fuel consumption and such. What is the displacement of the 928 engine?
Old 11-16-1999, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
BTW If those cars exsist how come we havn't seen the owners post any threads here or anywhere? Sounds like a Big Foot sighting to me. The only real proof is the one photo that exsists. But this could have been a superimposed, air brushed thing.(do you think?)I'll provide some specs on the engine soon. I'm still doing research. I'll be picking up the motor this week. Steve, When I get the adaptor made I'll post a photo. I hope it won't be like salt in your wound.LOL I will share any and all research with any of you specially you Steve. You renewed my interest in this swap. Check the 914 club forum for 928 conversions. I have proof that I was toying with this idea since 1996.BTW It seems that the 928 crowd doesn't realize what great looking motor they have in their cars.
I Still havn't found any engine shots.
Old 11-16-1999, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Don't forget engine mounts....that will be interesting....
Old 11-16-1999, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

My guess, everyone here would ban them for putting an "American" motor in the Porsche. So lets find out, how many people would be mad if someone did this?
Old 11-16-1999, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
10 yrs already??

personally i think that if someone is doing aftermarket stuff to their car, it is no longer a car but a work of art. if they so choose to use american parts in their now considered piece of art, more power to them. this "piece of art" is how someone is expressing themselves. if they want to express their own personal ideas by using all german parts, that's just another individual quest for functional art.

-jim-
Old 11-16-1999, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Rich, we have seen a couple of posts about them. One guy in CO happened upon one at a gas station. Check the archives here on this BBS, if they go back far enough.

There has been at least one of these featured in Panorama a number of years ago. That is the one that had to be lengthened, supposedly to fit a 928 tranny in as well as the 928 motor.

I don't have any more solid references, but there seems to be at least one in existance that several people have seen.

--DD
Old 11-16-1999, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
YA YA YA BIG FOOT SIGHTINGS! We need names.
(LOL) have a great day all;-)
Old 11-17-1999, 03:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Hi, Scott from Co here. I ran into that 928 powered 914 last summer - it was beautiful. As in my previous posting, I wasn't able to look around at the mechanicals too much. The engine compartment was mat black, and I didn't even think to look at the shape of the firewall. I do remember that there were a number of allen head bolts below the rear glass however, and the rear trunk was cut back as far as the dog bone with an aftermarket bar connecting the shock towers. The car was red and was from the west coast (Calif. plates). I was parked next to it in my 914 and it sure did not appear to be stretched. I saw the car on I-70 between the Youngfield and Kipling exits in Wheatridge.
Just an FYI
-Scott S

[This message has been edited by S Schroeder (edited 11-17-1999).]
Old 11-17-1999, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I remember Scott's posting well. (just wanted to see how far I could get with the Big Foot thing LOL) It rekindled my interest in this swap. An actual sighting of a real 918! No more wondering if this swap is possible. Then the car vanished! Maybe this idea has come of age. 928 motors seam to be cheap compared to the 3.0 and larger 911 motors. It's a REAL porsche motor, and in my opinion the direction Porsche should have gone. Remember,this is an ALL ALUMINUM,fuel injected V8! Light weight,SMOOTH AS SILK, 220HP 265lb-ft of torque thru the tail pipe! Just think,MY state doesn't inspect. That means no cat,no air pump,no air conditioning. BTW performance chips are available! The motor I found can't be the only deal out there. Any local machine shop should be able to make up a usable flywheel. The adaptor is a cake walk. The rest is basic fabrication and mechanics. Ask anyone what a 2.7 or larger 6 cylinder swap costs. Used motor: 2500.00 plus,plus,plus. V8 chevy: Who knows? I almost did, but couldn't commit. I can hardly stand the wait til I pickup the motor. I've found a low cost radiator solution. But thats for another day.
Later
Old 11-17-1999, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Well, go to this page http://www.dgi.net/914/
look under conversions in the fourm and you will see alot of people putting 8's into their Porsche's. However I just visited it for the first time 2 days ago, and must say they have a language and respect problem on that board. Its nice to all talk rational to each other.
Old 11-18-1999, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Glad to see someone going ahead with this, I had a 928 engine sitting in my garge for a couple of years even before I had my 914 (don't ask) and had thought about this swap a few years ago but decided against it for a couple of reasons: lack of garage space, lack of money. Now I have a garage but still no money so unless someone donates an engine....

Also from what I remember, there was 5 inch differance between the length of the 928 engine compared to the distance from the transaxle to the firewall. Then add a 3/4 to 1 inch adapter...

I have yet to see a 928 powered 914 myself but have talked to a few people that have seen one that was done, supposedly the one as featured in Excellance or Panorama was shown at a PCA Parade, and a few of the Porsche top dogs kept talking about how well
the swap was done. From what I've been told is it has an upside-down 930 transaxle,
the mounting points for the tranny where moved back about 5 inchs, this moved the axles back 5 inches as well, so the fender opening where cut and re-welded 5 inchs back as well. I've also heard that the car never handled the same after that.

I'd either use the stock injection or (here comes the flames) modify a Ford 5.0 Fuel injection setup (can be modified to run close loop), I'd get rid of those heavy cast iron exhaust manifolds also.

Good luck
Mike Mueller
Antioch, CA

------------------
Old 11-18-1999, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Well the motor is in my garage. The flywheel is going to pose a real challange, but looks doable. Mike Mueller, Can you get your 928 motor back? You'll wish you had it. This is going to be the ultimate swap. I'll post details tomorrow.
Old 11-19-1999, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

At the Porsche Parade in Monterey, Calif. A group of guys displyed their baby blue 2 valve 928 powered 914. Lengthened and kinda crude , but they had done it. The chevy has been done a LOT and can be done inexpensively (cheaper than a Porsche 6 conversion). We even had one powered by a V6 Buick - It was fast and handled fantastic!- almost same weight at the Porsche engine. One was towed in with a twin turbo Capri v-6- Never saw it run, but the new owner is hopeful. Saw a built RX-7 in one- Now that is interesting if noisy!
I don't envy the work you have ahead of you- many many hours! Good LUCK!
Old 11-20-1999, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
We've been looking for resent sightings of all porsche 918'S. Maybe those guys will end up checking this site some day. I'd like to talk to the guy Scott ran into in Colorado.
Well here goes the update: I Picked up the motor on friday. It's supossed to be a 1980 I even got a copy of the title from the salvage yard, but the engine has mechanical injection, so I'm not sure. (79 is supposed to be the last year for mech. inj.CIS) I need call a dealership monday and run the numbers.
I also found conflicting info on HP ratings. The pre 1980 219 or 230HP depending on the source. 1980 220 or 231HP depending on the source. Hopefully the dealer wil beable to shed some light on this. The car the motor came out of was crushed and gone so I'm also not sure If I have the right brain. And I didn't get the harness. I'm still looking for a wiring diagram,and fuel system diagram.The motor was hit during the accident and the fan and mount were smashed (don't need them anyway) the left side and center belt gaurd and alternator were also damaged. I spent the balance of the day cleaning the grease off and taking photos. I' should have the patterns and proto type adaptor made tommorrow if things go well.
Old 11-20-1999, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I made the patterns for the adaptor plate today. I used 1/2"milarmime (sp)and cut out a test piece. And the engine is now mated to the tranaxle! I have the aluminum plate on order. Should be in on monday. So technically the adaptor plate research is done. I also have all the measurements for the flywheel adaptor. As soon as I can get the stock flywheel off I'll drop everything at the machine shop. Keep you posted.
Old 11-21-1999, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: