Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 Brakes

Has anyone done any rear brake conversions on any type of 914 to get MORE braking????? This subject seems to be more and more concerning because the availability of even purchasing rebuilt rear calipers is becoming non- existent! The rebuild kits you can purchase are not complete enough for a home mechanic to make enough good with and Shops are complaining that they cannot get ALL the proper rebuild parts either... So whats a 914 owner to do? Well I guess we have to go to aftermarket braking and find ways to adapt them our cars. Thats easy for me to say with a "track car" only, but dilema stills stands for those doing restorations...

If you have any input please jump right in. I need some heavy duty brakes for the rear and sounds like many others doing V8 conversions will need the same.
Old 11-21-1999, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
I've seen a few kits that put the front calipers on the rear. You loose the parking brake though.

Also check out the Pelican brake tech article, or the 5-lug conversion guide. I think one or both talk about 911 brakes in the back.
Old 11-21-1999, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ws91420 Send a message via Yahoo to ws91420
I don't know where you live but I was able to get reman. rear calipers from Advance Auto Parts at a fraction of mail order. If you can find a auto parts place that handles A-1 Cardone reman. calipers they were the brand carried at Advance. By the way switching front to rear is not an option because you would no longer have a parking brake and here in VA that would be an automatic failure on state insepection.
Old 11-22-1999, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I just got my rear arms back from George Vellios.

This setup is made my cutting off the caliper mounting area and welding on an adapter. The adapter uses all 911 parts. So you can bolt on 911 vented brakes, input shafts, bearings, yada yada yada, and yes you retain the parking brake via 911 "drum" brakes. This also solves the weak link in the 914 power train if you use a 915 trans with carrera axles you can move up to 911/930 CVs.

Yes, it is expensive.

He does not have a website so you would need
to call 310-542-0806 to contact him.

-Rich
Old 11-22-1999, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

ws91420 can you contact me via email please to let give me more info regarding the rear calipers. I want to replace mine as soon as I can. My email is slavik914@yahoo.com
Old 11-22-1999, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Is this the same store chain as on this website??? http://www.advance-auto.com/
If so they seem to be in SO CAL.
Old 11-22-1999, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks Rich thats the kinda reply I was lookin for.... I want rid of all the 914 stock brakes, drive shafts and all that. I will look into this change over.

I dont need parking brakes for a track car, so that doesnt matter anyway...

Old 11-22-1999, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I called Advance-Auto in NJ they have the calipers and the reman is by A-1 Cardone. I just want an opinion from others does A-1 Cardone do a good job of remanufacturing them?

Thanks
Steve M
Old 11-23-1999, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Steve,

What was the price they gave you for the rebuilt caliper? I also would like to know if they are of good quality.

Alpine
Old 11-23-1999, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Alpine, I assume from your email address your in Canada, if you were in the states I would have suggested that you give them a jingle. So with respect to Pelican Parts I'll email you the prices that were quoted to me. If anyone else is interested you can email me as well.
BTW, I checked Cardone's website and they seem like a competent remanufacurer.
They are at http://www.cardone.com/
Old 11-23-1999, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Steve,

Thanks for sending me the price for the rebuilt calipers. I tried to email you but my email got bounced back.

Alpine
Old 11-24-1999, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ws91420 Send a message via Yahoo to ws91420
John that is their website. I actually work for the competition, but I need to get the parts where I can. The only minor problem is you may get an early or late caliper. Meaning 1 or two bleeder valves and the haynes manual says the bottom bleeder is only to facilitate draining out the old fluid
Old 11-27-1999, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

If you want you can try to email me again, or try slavik914@visto.com. Maybe that one will prove better results.
Old 11-27-1999, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I think I've decided to go with the early model 911 "M" calipers. Ive received a drawing that shows a .250" spacer plate between the hub and the vented rotor for alignment and the caliper bolts right onto the 3" pattern. That should be sufficient braking power with a manual proportioning valve to even things out. Thanks for all the input, will send photos once I get it set up...
Old 11-28-1999, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Since this thread has strayed from its original intent I might as well continue to contribute.

I was cleaning out the brake system on the 86 240 Volvo that I acquired recently and found that the rear calipers are very very very similar to the front calipers of the 914. The only difference that is significant is that there is this cast iron arm that sticks out the back of the caliper. From the looks of it this arm is supposed to distribute a rear impact into the caliper and send the shock through the rear end. Very interesting design, the arm is attached by a single bolt to the caliper itself. It seems to me that the arm can be removed with no adverse affect on the operation of the caliper itself.
Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 11-29-1999, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: