Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Eram

I've been hearing about this thing on the Rennlist. Has anybody ever tried one? Seems simple enough. Cheap. Easy to install. Just no one has ever seem to have tried one. www.electricsupercharger.com.
Old 11-27-1999, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I find your reply quite interesting. You are the first person I've heard of that didn't like the Eram. There seem to have been months of discussing it everywhere, but no one every said whether they liked it or not, they just discussed the principles of it. Thanx for the reply.
Old 11-28-1999, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The Rennlist (911) had quite a debate.
It went to the point af having one installed
on a lister's car and dyno tested(before and after).
The "inventor"(?) was present.
As I recall, the hp gain was minimal(2/4 hp) and at the lower rpm range.
The 911 list can be searched using eram as a reference, if you're really interested.
JPIII
Old 11-28-1999, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I imagine the HP gain would be minimal since it only runs 1psi of boost by itself. OTOH, if you had other mods such as headers, ect, I suppose the eram would just add to that. More air in, faster, and with headers, more air(kind of) out, faster. It just seems that it couldn't be that bad of a deal to get a little extra edge to elaborate the mods you already have. Espicially on a motor that spends its life at high revs, instead of having the vacumn that the motor produces do the work for it, the Eram would do the work and little extra for the motor. But, for $299, how bad could it be? Even better is that there is a money back guarantee.
Old 11-28-1999, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I agree with Brian. Compressing a gas takes a lot of power, that's why you don't see many (any?) all electric automotive airconditioners. Same goes with using electric heat to warm the interior, just too much power to get out of an automotive electrical system. Gains of just a few horsepower will probably be eaten up with the added load on the alternator.
Old 11-28-1999, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Well, the thing has a $$ back GUARANTEE to give you MORE HP, along with DYNO sheets, ect. The reason a/c uses a pulley is your compressing ALOT gas under ALOT of pressure, when using a fan, youre just blowing air in. I mean, theyre only putting out 1psi, theyre not claiming 15psi.
Old 11-28-1999, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

For 300.00 bucks for an additional 2-4 hp (which you will never feel!) along with the installation headache and de-installation headache after it disappoints you why not just add a hundred or two and put a NOS onboard? You can be conservative in its use and definitely add hp you can feel! Ian
Old 11-28-1999, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

N2O adds ALOT of un-needed wear to an engine. You may not run it that long, or run it that much, but the strain it puts on the motor when you do run it is very high. Also, if you do not tune the system right you will run lean and fry your motor. One time youll hit that button for just a little too long and burn a piston or spin a bearing from the strain it adds. N2O makes ALOT of heat and would require extensive cooling systems for use on any street motor. N2O is a very good idea and adds alot of HP, but remember, every gain in HP adds wear and has a downside. The downside to N2O is that you have to rebuild your engine alot. I have been told that every time you hit the button, it adds 10k miles to the engine. Thats alot of wear for 5 seconds of nice HP. As for installation, the eRam uses hose clamps to install to the air box, ect. Try that w/ N2O
Old 11-28-1999, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Y'all,

All of this for ONE POUND OF BOOST! That's rediculous! ANYONE who's ever had a turbocharged car will tell you that 1 pound will get you NOTHING! The little turbos that manufactures put on daily drivers have a minimum of ~5psi boost, and you barely feel those.

The other concern here is that, unless you run a 1.8L, you don't have a mass air flow sensor. So your state of tune will NEVER be right. At idle you can set it, but because you are going to have to adust your MPS this is a problem. The MPS is not a linear device and the constant addition of ~1psi will cause you to set it "too rich" at idle. This will become "way too rich" as you gian manifold pressure.

Basically this is a product that does work, using the term as in physics. However the gain wil be negligable, and gawd help y'all's alternators!

my $0.02
Ian
Old 11-29-1999, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I managed to just catch the edges of the debate from the 911 list. Sounds like they blasted him pretty thoroughly as well.

Whether the device works or not, I would have second and third thoughts about dealing with the seller. He has a rep as a spammer and a jerk. (Though this info comes from people who dislike him and may not be completely accurate. Check the archives for details.) Supposedly he spent a while on the 911 list answering peoples questions with ads for the e-ram. In some cases, the questions had nothing to do with engine performance. I believe he was warned by the Listmeister about it...

I didn't know about the BMW parody page--thanks, Brian! But there is another parody on the Flamerz page. http://members.rennlist.org/krw

That's two so far...

I wonder if anyone has tried to get their money back from him? I wonder how it went?

--DD
Old 11-29-1999, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I never knew this thing would turn into such a debate. Ha-ha! Maybe I have been too conclusive about a product which I have never tried. Instead of defending the product on the forum why not invest in it and let us all know how it performs!
Old 11-29-1999, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

It's funny, you know. There use to be ad after ad that promised "improve gas mileage by x%", "reduce engine wear" and "increase horsepower by x%". All of these things came with money back guarantees. Some were pills you added to your gas tank, others were little magnets attached to the gas line, stuff you poured into your crankcase, the best one was a "mini supercharger" that essentially was two little fans that sat in the throttle plate.

I guess the lesson to learn is that there is no easy way to bump up the power without doing your homework and paying your dues. Looks like the snake oil salesmen are still around.
Old 11-29-1999, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

You know if you really want to add some horses without a lot of heat or wear is to add a nitrous system along with a water injection sytem and mix 50/50 water with methonal you can get from Orchard Supply for cheap and should last you pretty long if you only use it with NOS. I know a guy with a 1965 stingray that had this set-up with a turbo and it was great.

------------------
Quote:
THE NIGHT TIME IS THE RIGHT TIME

***AGENT 009, JAMES BONDO***
Old 11-29-1999, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

In a responce to Ian's comment. I'm not as much defending it as I was trying to get the point across as it is guaranteed, and claims to produce X amount of HP. I just trying to get some different opinions. Everyone seemed to be giving the bad side, which I see, so I tried to give the good points, which I see also. I was also hoping to get mentions of different products claiming the samething. Guess they're are'nt too many more out there. That in itself says soemthing.

P.S. The leaf blower supercharger was pretty good. I do have to admit that.

[This message has been edited by Ihave72porsch914 (edited 11-29-1999).]
Old 11-29-1999, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I hope I wasn't too abrasive. There have been alot of interesting and funny posts on this subject. I truly believe if you want more significant hp, especially reliable hp then you are going to have to spend some cash. Even then you are always going to have a tradeoff somewhere whether its a rough idle, reduced gas mileage, engine life, etc.... I personally haven't had the pleasure yet to do a six conversion but I have done big fours and dumped some cash into hard lessons learned. Anyway Ihave72Porsh914 I noticed you live in NC. Where? I'm in Fayetteville maybe we could get together for a talk and drive one weekend! Ian
Old 11-29-1999, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I'm about 2-3 hours from Fayetville, up near the Greensboro area. A drive would be nice, but I don't really see anytime here soon for a weekend off for driving. Maybe sometime though. As for being to abrasive..na, it got a good discussion going.
Old 11-29-1999, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Hey, How much electric power does it take to run the L.Ber? My real question is: How much power does it take to run the alternator that runs the leave blower that makes the power to run the alternator that runs the..... I think you get it.
Old 11-29-1999, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Well, two things. First of all, anyone who can see the site www.electricsupercharger.com and uses IE needs to upgrade there browser to ver 5.0.

Second, I suggest everyone buys these products. That way I can invent something stupid and sell it. Something like the electric powered brakes, or maybe a solar powered headlight assembly (Save precious battery power for when you need it!).

All I am tring to say is that there will always be some stupid thing out there for sale. So, think about it and if you think spending $300 for it might do the job, buy it. You will either be happy, or you will learn.

CYA
Old 11-30-1999, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: