Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Gruppe5 webpage

Ok, I threw together a webpage for you all to check out my car. This is the one I am proceding with a V8 conversion on.

Check it out: http://sites.netscape.net/gruppe5/homepage
Old 11-27-1999, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Now see I'd drive that on the street. No kidding, I would. A couple of lights,a couple of super trapps,maybe some turn signals,and lets GOOOO!! YAA
Old 11-27-1999, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I didn't know you are in the bay area also.
Nice web page, where do you plan on running the car after the V-8 is in? Can you still run in the PCA events?

------------------
Mike Mueller
Antioch, CA
1970 1.8
Old 11-29-1999, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well I am no longer in the bay area, but thats where I built the car and started racing it. Ran mostly at Laguna Seca and Sears Point. Did a couple auto-X at the Crows Landing site.
I plan to run it at PIR (Portland International Raceway) and of course back in the bay area again. The PCA may let me in and "Exhibition" drive it, but because its not "all Porsche", I cannot compete. I will most likely go to SCCA and join the modified maniacs out there... sounds like fun!
Old 11-29-1999, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I checked your site and it looks good. I was curious about the Porsche rules and it appears that both POC and PCA require a Porsche engine, even in the GT classes. Looks like you would be in the A or B mod SCCA class depending on the weight and the engine size when finished. We recently had a 914 with a small clock Chevy and nitrous at a San Diego SCCA autocross and they put him in B mod and he had stock gearing and was eaten alive. He would smoke the tires really easy if he used much throttle at all. If you are considering the SCCA route I would go with a very low and close ratio gear set since their courses usually do not have the long straights we run at the Porsche autox's. My race 914 2.5 l is geared so that top speed is about 105 at 6000 RPM and I get topped out in 5th at the end of our long straights which is just about right. Good luck.
Old 11-29-1999, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
John..

were you there at the last auto-x?.. (20th i think?) that straightaway was a killer.. i kept it in *VERY HIGH* 3rd in my stock 2.0L. didn't seem to matter how fast i got since my braking wasn't up to par for that right angle at the end of the straight, so ended up having to slow from the very first braking point. I'm going ahead with 320i calipers up front, swapping front calipers to the rear (yes, no e-brake), T fitting, and 19mm MC.. hopefully that'll make some difference.. then i'll just have to work at being a better driver..
Old 11-29-1999, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Well auto-cross is not my first love and probably will not be the major use of this cars time. I would like to race the GT mod series with SCCA/IMSA. I have not been around racing in so long I dont really know whats available to me. I like the open track with lots of top end running rpm. One other thing I'd like to do is the Silver State Challenge in Nevada. That looks like it could be a whole bunch of fun for this car.

A V8 in a 914 with Nitrous on top of that?... sounds like overkill on top of overkill. Must be a tire dealer!
Old 11-29-1999, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I definately like the road type courses more, but there doesn't seem to be as much as there are autox's. I would try to figure the gearing to be at top speed just before I got to the breaking cones. As an example, out 1987 Turbo can do over 160 with ease, but is a dog at most autox's even with slicks and a well modified engine. I would really like to have the factory's "short gear set" which limited top speed to about 130 for short courses and gave huge amounts of out of the corner acceleration in second gear. But I bought a 914 instead! I was at the last autox oredith and I was able to go to the last breaking cone before I had to stand on the brakes. I would only do the 320i front calipers, put in the tee and the 19mm master cylinder. Having the emergency brake far out weighs any slight gain I think you would get from the front to rear swap since a big part of the braking is done by the front. I am a little lucky since I use Goodyear slicks and don't have to slow down as much to corner as most cars.Any ways, you might want to talk to Chris Fisher at PowerHaus II and see what he sezs, I bought my Quaife from him and he seems to know gears pretty well and has great prices.

[This message has been edited by john rogers (edited 11-29-1999).]
Old 11-29-1999, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
One local (Zone 7, Bay Area) autocrosser/time trialer with an 87 turbo says, "I just leave it in first." His car will do sixty in 1st gear--I know, I've driven it. (On the freeway--first gear--WHEEEE!) They gear those four-speed turbo trannies pretty darned tall.

You also get to master left-foot braking, because you DESPARATELY need to keep the throttle open through the corner so you can get the boost into the "fun zone" right at the apex. I'm glad I have a 914 and don't have to worry about left-foot braking.

--DD
Old 11-29-1999, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
I'm going with the front caliper -> rear because i've got a leak coming out of the rear calipers.. (if you keep up with rennlist, you know what i'm talking about) i'll try out the front caliper and go without e-brakes for a while.. and see how i like it. meanwhile, i can rebuild my rear calipers.

SD auto-x: which car were you in?.. wish i had known you were going to be there before hand.. do you have a picture of your car online somewhere? how did you do?.. what class were you running in?.. i had to leave early because i was developing a HUGE headache and my roommate's supra (yes, i was the one that brought the interloper) had some problems after his little spin.

so.. are the SD track usually that..hmm.. squared off near the back stretch?

Jeff
Old 11-29-1999, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Dave's right about 1st gear. Redline is 7000 RPM so we get about 60 in 1st, 100 in 2nd, 135 in 3rd and the fastest I've been is 160 in 4th with another thousand or so RPM to go. These were made for autobahn cruising. I got rid of all the turbo lag with a long neck intercooler and other stuff. I have a bright red 914, number 631 and run in A modified class.

[This message has been edited by john rogers (edited 11-30-1999).]
Old 11-30-1999, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: