Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Starter Removal

Being a novice on working on 914's, I am struggling with how to remove the upper mounting bolt that secures the starter. The lower bolt is accessible, somewhat, but the upper bolt seems impossible to get to. Any thoughts on my dilema? I'm sure that this must be a very common item to replace on 25 years old vehicles. Mine is a 73 1.7 converted to 2.1. Any help would be appreciated.

HUTCHWE
Old 11-30-1999, 03:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The upper mounting bolt has a nut that is in the engine compartment. Access is much easier this way. Good luck.

Pritchard
Old 11-30-1999, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The starter has a notch on it that holds the bolt in place while you turn the nut in the engine compartment. Just get the socket on the nut by the engine and turn, dont worry about it turning on the other end.
Old 11-30-1999, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Who would have thunk of that? Actually, I just looked in the engine compartment and it's not entirely obvious which nut is the appropriate one. I don't want to loosen up something that shouldn't be. Do you have to remove any tin to see it. I have dual webers and so everything is very accessible. Am I just overlooking something that is staring me in the face, or what?
Old 11-30-1999, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I can't remember exacly if you have to move the rear/vertical piece of engine tin to see this nut. I don't think that you do. This nut is right along the edge of the bell housing. Don't worry about messing something up. Chances are, by owning a 914, that you will get a chance to remove/repair/replace everything on the car anyway. Have fun!

Pritchard

Old 11-30-1999, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Pritchard is right. About month ago I replaced the tranny, so I remember pretty well. You shouldn't need to remove any sheet metal. The nut goes through the engine block. It should be the only large nut in that general area if you already removed the other one.
Old 11-30-1999, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I should be a 15mm or 17mm nut, if that helps
Old 11-30-1999, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks to all for easing the pain on beginning my maintainence journey on 914s. I took the old starter out, (hard part) and reinstalled the new one (easy part). I only had to change one electrical connection from loop to blade. This really is a great web site with lots of friendly people willing to help. Thanks again to all and to PP for their sponsorship. Later.

HUTCHWE
Old 12-02-1999, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: