Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cooling differences

Hey I need some enlightenment understanding the differences between Type 4 cooling setups and 911 cooling setups such as found on a 2.7 I once had. The type 4 has the fan front mounted, thermostat controlled flaps, engine tin, etc... to maintain operating range temperatures correct? The 2.7 six I had a top mounted 11 blade fan and a shroud with if I recall correctly a vane to channel air over the oil cooler. Why isn't a thermostat needed here? Or did I miss something? How would this engine warm up quickly especially in cold weather? I'm just curious because of the availability of upright fan shroud conversions for type 4's. Thanks, Ian
Old 12-01-1999, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The T-4 uses at least one flap to prevent air from passing over the oil cooler when cold. The 911 engine has a themostat to control oil flow into the cooler when cold.

[This message has been edited by Tim Polzin (edited 12-01-1999).]
Old 12-01-1999, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The type IV engines were used in the bus and the 411 and there was very little room to have a top mounted fan such as the 911 engine or the original bug engine. The early bus models had a high shelf in the back and there was a need to lower it for better storage I imagine. Both systems are similar and there are top mounted fans for the 4 cylinder engines and flat mounted top fans for the 6's as well as the normal ones.
Old 12-01-1999, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

So I am assuming it takes air cooled sixes a while to warm up since upon start up cold air (when it's cold outside of course)is blown straight through the oil cooler where as on a 914 the flap diverts air pass the oil cooler until the engine warms. Is this correct? The reason I am pursuing the logic behind all of this is because I haven't seen an upright conversion for the type 4 which takes into account diverting the passing of cold air over the oil cooler when the engine is cold. Thanks again!
Old 12-02-1999, 03:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I live in a relatively "cold" climate (Northeaster Alberta) where our high temp rarely gets over 30 C and usually has daily highs around 20 to 25 C (summer, that is). My oil temp takes quite a while to warm up, and will only reach 80 C when I'm on the highway. I've never seen it much over 80. Also remember there is around 10 litres of oil to heat up too.

The air blowing over the internal oil cooler does not have much effect until the thermostat allows the oil to circulate through the cooler.
Old 12-02-1999, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks Tim!
Old 12-02-1999, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Sorry Ian, I thought you knew there was the internal thermostat that opens when the oil gets warm to allow circulation to the attached cooler and on our 87 turbo there is the second one for the front cooler too. The type IV engines don't have this sort of regulation. The internal thermostat has the o-ring seal that seems to want to weep and cause those little spots on the garage floor. When the engine in my race car, that has a dry sump system for the type IV engine and the vertical cooling fan assembly is started, I have to be very careful to let the oil warm up or the lines can blow apart due to the pressure surges, not to mention possible engine damage.

[This message has been edited by john rogers (edited 12-02-1999).]
Old 12-02-1999, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks John!
Old 12-02-1999, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: